Choosing to attend college overseas

La Cordon Bleu is offered in many places of the world.

Courtesy of www.cordonbleu.edu

Karina Ruano, Reporter

Who ever thought about going overseas to go to college? I plan to go to Madrid, Spain to attend the Le Cordon Bleu culinary arts school.

Since freshmen year I have taken cooking classes and then after sophomore year I started thinking about taking more cooking classes. When junior year came I decided that I wanted to commit to going to a college that has a culinary arts program. Senior year I felt more comfortable with what I wanted to do, which is become a pastry chef. I started doing some research and I found Le Cordon Bleu in Madrid, Spain. There are a lot of students that go to different countries for college.

“More than 260,000 students who study abroad each year for academic credit,” Emily Driscoll wrote on foxbusiness.com. “At a U.S. college or university, more than 40,000 American students enrolled in higher education education institutions outside of the U.S. for full degree programs.”

If I have good experiences with that then I would be successful in the future when I decide to open my own bakery.

I believe that going to a different country for college is a great opportunity; you can learn a lot of great things. Going to college in a different country could be really good to put in your job resume and for other things. Whichever school you choose that is in a different country I feel like those students will learn more about the culture and what the school has to offer for them.

When I was looking for culinary arts schools for some reason Le Cordon Bleu in Madrid, Spain caught my attention. Since I liked Barcelona I thought of going to Madrid for college and have a good education there. Le Cordon Bleu is a really good culinary arts school there are a lot of people who go there to get a good education. I want to be one of those students who get a good education at Le Cordon Bleu in Madrid.

I feel like that going into the culinary arts field will help me because I would like to open my own bakery once I’m older and have good experience in making different pastries and desserts. If I go to Le Cordon Bleu I feel like the experience won’t be the same in the United States, as the Spanish cuisine is unique.

The desserts that I like that are of Spanish cuisine are churros, flan and tres leches cake. I mainly want to be more of a pastry chef then a regular chef because I love making desserts at home and at school. If I have good experiences with that then I would be successful in the future when I decide to open my own bakery.

Overall, I would just love to have the opportunity to go to Madrid to do something that I love, get a great experience out of it, and make my family proud and most importantly; make my grandma and grandpa be very proud of me for all the hard work that I would do to achieve and succeed in the future.