PHS students come together to watch the debate

courtesy of Emily Hamman

Students play debate bingo as they watch Clinton and Trump face off.

Sam Imlay, Reporter

The Palatine Political Action Club held its first debate watch party on Sept 26.

The event started at 7:30 pm in the cafeteria and was projected onto the large screen in the front of the room. The debate was the first of the season and was between the major two party candidates for president, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. 

Eight tables were set up with red and blue table cloth and had red, white and blue candies placed in the center. The event began 30 minutes before the debate so that two PHS students, senior Keaton Silver and junior Gabrielle Cervantes, could explain some history behind presidential debates.

Each student who arrived received two pieces of paper, one was a bingo card. Students marked off this bingo card which had different phrases such as “Benghazi” and “someone is interrupted” every time it happened/ is said during the debate. The winners received King sized candy bars.

The other paper had two phrases for each candidate and the students had to make a guess before the debate started as to how many times the phrase would be stated. Whoever guessed correctly how many times a phrase was stated at the end would receive a king size candy bar.

Over a 100 students of all different political parties came out to show their support. One student wore a “Make America Great Again” hat, while four other students wore Bernie Sanders shirts. Most students, however, came to the debate for extra credit in their social studies class.

In the end, when asked who won the debate majority of students stood up for Clinton. Throughout the debate there was much cheering and booing, but overall it was a good time and helped further the political knowledge to students.