Crew members make the fall play possible

Sam Spaletto

Students put together the staging for the play Noises Off. The performances are Oct, 6, 7, and 8 at the Altergott Auditorium in PHS.

Sam Spaletto, Reporter

“We had to redo the entire staircase,” Abby Langer, a crew member, said. “When the stairs were put into place, the supports were short by a couple of inches. This made all of the difference, since if the supports weren’t strong enough then they might collapse when the actors walked on them.”

The fall play, Noises Off, is coming up fast on us and yet even though the actors will perform, a lot more goes into the play than one may think. Creating a play is a lot more complicated than one may think. The actors aren’t the only ones that make a play.

The cast is not the only part of the play that has difficulties preparing for the show. “Noises Off is a really complex show with a very complex set,” Ryan McCain, the leader of the set building crew, said. “It is a two story house and the entire set rotates twice in the entire show.”

To make things easier for the set crew, the set was built in many different pieces that are were gained together. This allows for much more than a small group of people only working on the set at one time. Three to five people worked on multiple different parts of the same set to maximise efficiency and decrease the time it took to build it.
“It takes multiple people to do a single job,” Langer said. “We have to all work together to complete a task as big as this.”

“The set needs to be able to support the actors,” Elliot Willming, one of the set building crew members said. “The actors are going to be climbing through the windows and, at one point, fall down the stairs.”

“It is going to be hard to support the actors on an eight foot tall platform,” Langer said. “In order for the set to be structurally sound, wood pieces of support were used underneath the floor and stairs of the set,”

The show is going to be held on Oct. 6 and 7, showing at 7 pm and Oct 8 showing at 2 pm.