Seniors’ advice to lower classmen

Freshman+Adrian+Salguero%2C+junior+Amber+Singh%2C+and+senior+Raquel+Garcia+gather+together+for+a+yearbook+meeting.+

Fidan Malikova

Freshman Adrian Salguero, junior Amber Singh, and senior Raquel Garcia gather together for a yearbook meeting.

Reporter, Abril Dominguez

Dear Freshmen and really anyone who isn’t currently in the stressful process of trying to maximize their last year of high school,

How is your first year of high school going so far? Have you done (or not done) something that you regret yet? No? That’s good, but I’m here to tell you that by the time you’re a senior, you’re bound to have a list of things you’re upset about. It would be great if we could go back in time and change the poor decisions we make sometimes, but we can’t, so please listen to these words of advice. The Class of 2017 has learned from their mistakes and now it’s time for them to pass on their acquired wisdom. So without further ado, here is a compilation of 20 pieces of advice, from seniors to lower classmen:

On academics:
“Things had always come naturally to me before high school, so I thought, ‘Ok I don’t need to try here,’ but I really did. I didn’t do as well as I could have. So yeah, actually try. Oh, and start studying for the ACT way earlier, like freshman or sophomore year.” — Jaclyn Hernandez
“Pay attention in class. I didn’t focus on my schoolwork until last year, which had an impact on my transcript and the colleges I can get into and now it’s too late to change it. Take high school seriously right from the start.” –Michael Mejia.
“Grades are important. It’s not all fun and games.” –Shayla Flores
“Try to get straight A’s. The people who tell you a B in an AP class is an A, they’re lying. Nope, it’s a B.” –Meera Patel
“High school is shorter than it seems so you know, make the most of it. Don’t stress too much. Take the classes you want to take, not the classes everyone else is taking.” –Jenny Sobkowiak
“Enjoy your freshman and sophomore years as much as possible because junior year is hard.” –Karla Perez
“Don’t be afraid to ask questions.” –Salvador Estrada

On extracurriculars:
“Get involved in more clubs. There are some clubs I didn’t do until last year and I really regret not joining earlier because they were actually really fun. I initially stayed away from them because I was intimidated, but they turned out to be ‘no experience necessary.’ So try everything you’re interested in.” — Jaclyn Hernandez
“I didn’t get as involved as I would’ve liked to because I was afraid of putting too much on my plate. It was a mistake. Don’t overwhelm yourself, but also don’t underestimate your ability to manage being involved in several extracurriculars.” –Karla Perez
“You might be nervous about the transition into high school, but put yourself out there and meet new people, especially when it comes to clubs. Put yourself out there and try new things and when you have a shot to try out for something, take it. You never know if you’ll get in and actually really enjoy it. Being involved will enrich your high school experience.” –Erick Flores
“The clubs you join freshman year, follow through until senior year and become a leader of that club. Don’t just participate in the activity.” –Meera Patel
“Do more with yourself. Take college classes online, find out more about opportunities for things to do over the summer, volunteer somewhere that’ll distinguish you, look for scholarships and keep an ongoing list, if you’re on a sport or competitive team, practice more so you don’t feel like you’re the worst on the team, become more friendly with everybody” –Emilio Balderas
“Do all the things you think are weird or stupid because you can laugh about it later.” –Cecilia Orozco
“You should get involved because it adds a lot to your high school experience. That’s honestly where I’ve made a lot of my best friends.” –Dan Pinargote
“Try the sports you’re even semi-interested in.” –Salvador Estrada

On everything else:
“Pick your friends wisely. Surround yourself with people that have the same goals as you.” –Cecilia Orozco
“Don’t do drugs.” –Erick Flores
“Don’t be so worried about finding someone your freshman year, because honestly you’re not going to care senior year. Just focus on getting stuff done and preparing yourself for getting into a good college.” –Anonymous
“Do something fun on late starts, like going out for breakfast with your friends.” –Karla Perez
“Be confident in yourself and hang around with people that are going to motivate you to become a better person, people who want the best for you, not people who are constantly trying to bring you down.” –Carlos Chihuahua