The lady Pirates’ season is going just swimmingly

Caroline Wojtas

Come out and support Girl’s Swimming and Diving at their next meet!

Caroline Wojtas, Reporter

The Lady Pirate swim and dive team has had a great start to their season. Currently 5-0 in conference match-ups, these pirates are fighting hard to keep it that way. With wins against Elk Grove, Schaumburg, Mother McAuley, and Hoffman Estates, the pirates are looking strong. The varsity swimmers have recently placed 6th at the Hindsdale relays, returning with quite a few medals to show for their efforts.

It seems as if losing the two fastest and most experienced swimmers, Laura Mayer and Amy Zahn, has not had a detrimental effect on the team whatsoever. Though the team misses their presences in the pool, Palatine is still powering throughout their season.

The varsity team looks towards all their swimmers to bring something unique to the table. Sprint freestyler Kristin Anderson (16) swims any freestyle event and more often than not, is extremely successful.

Tess O’Brien (16) also swims freestyle but can power through in both the backstroke and breaststroke. Lily Zahn (15) is the Pirate’s number one swimmer in butterfly. Mathilde Mogensen (16) and Caroline Wojtas (15) swim the individual medley, while Katelyn Kurrie (17), Emily Miehlke (17), Kelsey Hank (16), and Jackie Kincanon (15) are the most diverse, and swim a different style almost every meet.

With prospective swimming star Ellis Nelson (18) out with a hip injury, this season coach Berleman has pulled up three junior varsity swimmers to help the already small varsity squad fill a roster.

When asked how the team is this year, captain Jackie Kincanon said, “I feel all the levels have gotten so close as a team and it sends a really positive vibe when competing. We all treat each other like family.”

The future Pirates’ swimming future looks very promising, with only three varsity swimmers graduating this year, leaving four juniors to lead the pirates to victory. Another hopeful fact is that this past weekend the Pirates hosted a froshesman/sophomore invite; in which they took second. Many of the lady Pirates recieved medals in multiple events.

The Pirates are heading into the tail end of their season. They will soon be getting ready for the hugely important end of the season meets.

Kincanon said, “We may hit a few hard practices along the way but in the end it’ll be all worth it.” Come and support the lady Pirates as the wrap up their successful season.