The impact of Covid-19 on mental health

Isabella Robinson

Painting by Isabella Robinson

Isabella Robinson, Reporter

Since the start of early March, Americans have been forced into a national quarantine because of the Covid-19 pandemic. As people find themselves isolated from their friends and family the US has seen a decline in mental health.

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, “In a poll conducted in mid-July 53% of adults in the U.S reported that their mental health has been negatively impacted due to worry and stress over the coronavirus. Much higher than the poll done in March with 32%.”

Covid-19 has caused many problems around the world including many deaths leading to the isolation of people. The lack of social interaction has created loneliness which makes it much tougher for people to deal with their stress.

“My mental health at the beginning of quarantine was already low because of genetics,” PHS student Sarah Fix said. “As the quarantine continued it fed more into it. Being socially restrained from my friends makes it more difficult to have someone I can talk to.” 

This increase in fear, anxiety, and depression caused by the pandemic is a real obstacle. To help with this the Center for Disease Control recommends, “Take care of his/her body. Take a break from the news and connect with others.”

During a time that is difficult and different from anything anyone has ever experienced it’s extremely important that people still focus on their wellbeing and check in on others.