Juggling work and school in a pandemic

Isabella Robinson, Reporter

During this pandemic, many students have been dealing with all sorts of changes. Along with that, some students of Palatine have been working during this quarantine because they’re essential workers. One student from Palatine High School, a senior in particular, Julian Dominguez, has been working as a Walmart Cap 2 stocker for a little over 8 months. This is just around the time the COVID-19 pandemic started to take its appearance.

Since the pandemic, many stores have started to implement new procedures in order to stay safe during this time. For Dominguez and other workers the disinfection of the store wasn’t the biggest challenge needing to be faced.

“The biggest challenge I would say, would be that some of the customers refused to wear a mask,” Dominguez states. “ I have yet to accept the fact that not wearing a mask has become a political statement for people.”

Along with dealing with difficult customers, the balance between working and school is a hard thing for students to do. Dominguez has been met with that challenge while working this year. He has been trying his hardest to balance the schoolwork and the working during the week.

“I think it’s a tricky balance but communication is key. Being able to communicate with people at your workplace,” Dominguez says. “ Sitting down with them and telling them, “Hey I’ve got a whole bunch of schoolwork can I have this day off.” Or vice versa talking to my teachers, I think communication is essential.”

Dominguez seemed to be a student that, when faced with an issue in his life he overcomes that issue in a mature and responsible way. A good friend of his, Elyssa Reed, has nothing but good things to say about this Palatine student.

“Julian is definitely a hard worker. In all of the time I’ve known him, he’s been a part of many different activities,” Reed says. “ He gives his all in everything he participates in. He always puts his best foot forward and gives 110 percent.”

Over all, the Covid-19 pandemic has caused many great changes in the palatine students’ lives, along with Dominguez. Furthermore, with these changes comes new experiences as well. For Dominguez, like Reed said, he is putting his best foot forward during his senior year.

“Overall, I think I’ve grown as a person and as an adult,” Dominguez says. “ I started a new chapter in my life, not in the way I imagined but still in a good way.”