Tips for having a better school year

Steven Keferlis, Features Editor

Sophomore Jairo Montes enters Palatine High School, a school that is familiar to him in memory, but has changed drastically since the last time he wandered the halls of the formerly bustling school. It’s eerily silent and devoid of the usual comforts, like friends, that come with the experience of school. Suffice to say, Jairo has entered an entirely different ballgame. 

The school year is slowly coming to a close, but it’s still up in the air whether all the protocols put in place this year will remain or not. As such, it’s important for us to learn from this year so we can apply those lessons for next year. 

It can be overwhelming for some students to adjust to the increased protocol of the school, however some teachers know a few tips to keep students on their feet, both in and out of person. 

“Whenever students are remote, you must eliminate distractions,” Terrence Walsh said. “Phones need to go so you can stay focused.”

“We can’t always tell what’s going on behind the screen,” Leslie Schock said. “So students need to hold themselves accountable for their learning and attention.”

For students that are going back to school, there are a plethora of new regulations and rules that one must follow to keep the school safe.

“Put reminders on your phone if you’re forgetting assignments, or even your mask when you come to school in the morning.” Walsh said.

Palatine has recently offered academic support as a way for students to, as the name suggests, help them with their learning. 

“You have to take advantage of academic support lessons,” Terrance Walsh said. “We only see you about two to three times a week, and that’s not always enough time to explain.” 

“Try to keep yourself connected to teachers if you need to.” Leslie Schock said. 

Although academic support runs through 1:45 and 3:15 PM, students are all released at 1 PM, which is a stark contrast to the previous dismissal time. 

“The extra time that students have makes them put off work more often,”  Shock said. “So managing your time is key to not being overwhelmed.” 

At the core of it all, students need to make the best academic choice that they believe works best for their situation, whether hybrid or remote.

“Every student has to do what makes sense for them.” Walsh said, “It has to be a personal choice.”