Girls soccer send seniors off with win against EGHS

Used with permission from Jason Klein

The Pirates celebrate a goal scored by the team, equaling out the score 1-1 against the Mustangs. This photograph was taken at a previous PHS soccer game.

Bryan D Gomez, Reporter

The Pirates claimed a dominant 5-0 victory over the Elk Grove Grenadiers in a spectacular Senior Night for the Pirates.

The evening of May 4, 2022. The Pirates hosted the Elk Grove Grenadiers in a special & exciting Senior Night for the Pirates.

“I’m really happy with how we played. I think everyone worked really hard,” Palatine High School senior Olivia Riley. “We talked a lot about working really hard for two halves because I feel like that’s kind of where we struggled. We’ve either had a great first half or a great second half and I think we just played well in both halves and outworked them.”

As the game started, the Pirates were handling the game and clearly overcoming the Grenadiers in every aspect of the game since the beginning. Many opportunities were created by the team with a great effort from the Pirates trying to score the first one goal.
A great ball coming from the left that Olivia Riley took advantage of inside the area to make the first one of the evening, the score was 1-0. Just a few minutes later the Pirates scored the second goal after a great run from Madi Stark coming from the left with an exceptional finishing inside the area that the goalkeeper could stop, the Pirates were up 2-0 on the scoreboard.

Just before the end of the first half, an impressive individual play from Mia Ramirez with a great opportunity to score on a clear one-on-one against the goalkeeper that concluded on the back of the net after dribbling the Grenadier’s goalkeeper. 

As the second half started, Angelina Lopez scored the 4-0 in a fantastic play of basic passes from the Pirates. The Grenadiers couldn’t have a clear chance of scoring thanks to the imposing performance by the Pirates defenders who stopped every possible chance of scoring from Elk Grove.

The Pirates were the lords and masters of the game, and after a great play from the Pirates that Paige Millstone finished inside the area to make the fifth of the evening for the Pirates and put the score 5-0. 

An inspiring victory on Senior night for the Pirates who deserved the win after a great effort by the girls that was paid off on the scoreboard and never threw in the towel.