The Bears move close to home

Shawn Adler

Bears chairman George Mccaskey and other members of the organization sit at their panel awaiting questions from bears fans.

Shawn Adler, Reporter

On September 8, in the John Hersey High School gymnasium the Chicago Bears held a meeting to discuss a potential move to Arlington Park.

“Hopefully it can attract major events like the Super Bowl, College Football Playoff, concerts, the Final Four. ” Ted Phillips, President of the Bears said, “We don’t have a facility like that now.”

If the plans go through and the Bears end up purchasing the 326 acres of land in Arlington Heights, the stadium is confirmed to be a dome.

When a question of concern came up, and Phillips was asked if there was a plan B if Arlington Park doesn’t work out, Phillips had one thing to say.

“Right now, we don’t have a plan B,” Phillips said. “Our singular focus is on this property.”

The Bears organization did several surveys on different Chicago and suburban residents, asking many different questions about peoples’ interest and thoughts on the Bears move to Arlington Heights.

Many Chicago residents said that they would be more than likely to make a drive to Arlington Heights to watch the Bears play, which is a good sign for the Bears head chairman, George McCaskey’s family.

“This is a massive, multibillion dollar project that could take 10 years or more to complete,” said McCaskey.

Another thing that McCaskey had talked about was the addition of a residential district next to the stadium.

McCaskey then added that the Bears organization wanted no public funding for the stadium to be built.

“We’re not asking for property taxes to be raised in Arlington Heights to fund the stadium construction,” McCaskey said.

Even though McCaskey stated that the Bears would want no public funding for the construction of the stadium, he did say that the bears would seek taxpayer’s help for the other developmental pieces of the community around the stadium.

If the purchase were to go through, it would still be a ten or more year process before Arlington will ever see a game.