Palatine High School gets pinked out for breast cancer awareness

Karim Melek

Staff and students sell Pink Out! gear during lunch periods in the cafeteria.

Tara O’Sullivan, Reporter

Each year, during a football game in October, hundreds of students file into the student section decked out in pink from head to toe in support of the Pink-Out theme. Pink shirts fill the stadium, most of which are from this year’s fundraiser. Among the crowd, pink cowboy hats with dangling feathers, bedazzled pink sunglasses, and even pink face and body paint can be seen from the enthusiastic audience. A large hand-painted banner hangs across the stadium fence reading, in bright pink, “RED RYDERS BEAT CANCER AND BRONCOS.” This vibrant turnout is in support of something bigger than just a game.

“It is a time to educate and bring things to the forefront,” Palatine High School nurse Jean Johnson said. “I think it’s really important to educate men, women, girls, guys on the importance of self-check and self-advocating, and also to let kids know that they can play a vital role in making everything and anything better. Whether it’s supporting the cause and buying something, or taking an active role in selling, for me, [breast cancer awareness month] encompasses everything from education and encouraging young people to get involved.”

Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a time to recognize and increase support for those fighting the most common cancer.

“It’s one of those things that I’m happy to do something to raise awareness and money for in hopes of finding more cures so we can take care of it and get rid of it,” service club CO-Sponsor  Laura Ross said.

The Pink Out games held throughout the school serve as a perfect opportunity for students to involve themselves in a cause that unfortunately affects so many. This past Friday marks Palatine High School’s 14th Pink Out game. 

“The ultimate goal is raising awareness, at our school specifically, and hoping to raise donations to be able to give to the American Cancer Society to ultimately fund research,” Ross said. “It is, unfortunately, a common cancer. Whereas other types of cancer may not have as much of an individual connection for a lot of people, unfortunately, I think a lot of students and staff know someone who has been impacted by breast cancer.”

According to Ross, through individual donations, staff participation in a raffle, and the sale of our Pink-Out gear, service club was able to raise $5,000 to donate last year. 

“The students in service club design the shirts, and the kids rally behind it and seem to have fun, so without our student body, it wouldn’t be successful,” Johnson said.