Why you should go see Mamma Mia! the musical

Sonia Jezierski, Opinions Editor

Every winter, Palatine High School students spend many months of long rehearsals preparing to grace hundreds of audience members with amazing singing, dancing, and acting. 

This year’s musical, Mamma Mia, takes viewers on an exciting journey from frigid Palatine to beautiful and sunny Greece! Mamma Mia follows the story of Sophie and her mother Donna through Sophie’s journey of trying to figure out which one of three potential dads is her real dad just days before her wedding.

The Abba romantic comedy is a great show for an audience of all ages and a great way to support Palatine’s music department and drama club. 

Supporting local productions such as the ones at Palatine High School can be really meaningful. Without enough ticket sales, costs of covering expensive materials such as the rights to the show, costumes for the characters, and materials for the set becomes impossible. 

“It makes it hard for them to exist,” PHS Choir teacher Matthew Koelingher said. “You get to experience high quality performances even though it’s amateur.”

Additionally, the musical can be a great way for students to express themselves and become more involved in the school. Whether being a part of the cast, tech crew, or even costume crew, every person serves an important role. 

“When I sing, I feel connected to the song even if I have no connection to it.” senior Madeline Hake who plays Sophie said. “I’m hoping to contribute to my community by spreading that love of music.”

Opening night for the musical is Wednesday, Feb 22 with closing night on Saturday, Feb 25. Each show starts at 7 pm and tickets can be purchased during all lunch periods by the Main Office. Tickets can also be purchased at the door however seats are limited.