Follow PHS Cutlass

Subscribe for the latest stories!

* indicates required
Translate this article into the following languages
Meet our Staff!

Beating the heat wave

Top strategies to stay cool and comfortable this week
Karim Melek
Students going out for lunch despite the triple-digit heat index.

This Wednesday and Thursday, the heat index is anticipated to be as high as 110 degrees Fahrenheit. It looks like the mid-afternoon, when students leave school will be the most intense time of the day for most of this week.

And it isn’t just Palatine who will be affected — it turns out much of the center of the country will be hit by this heat too.

PHS will experience high temperatures in the nineties for the next few days, with cooler weather arriving on Friday. This poses challenges as some may find this temperature

“We have been going to practice in the mornings at around 6, today and tomorrow,” Palatine football coach Jim Kautz said. 

He also commended the athletes for showing up so early. He said that “attendance has been outstanding.”

Here are some essential tips for staying cool this week:

Strategy #1: Drink water.

Water is essential to our body, especially in hot weather. Sweating causes water loss, so it’s important to replenish frequently. You can bring a water bottle to school or drink from the water fountains. Either way, water is the best way to cool off.

Strategy #2: Dress in light colors

You should also consider what you wear to school. In times when the sun is unbearable, light-colored clothing will help you stay cool. These reflect the sun which prevents your body from feeling the heat, which will cool you down. Darker-colored clothes generally absorb heat, making you warmer. Considering the clothes you wear can definitely help with the heat.

Strategy #3: Stay indoors

Don’t stay outside for too long. It could feel like 110 degrees at peak! If possible, try to find an indoor place with air-conditioning. While you’re outdoors, be sure to seek shade and take frequent water breaks when possible.

The safety of your parents and friends also matters. If you feel that you or anyone else may be suffering from heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion, go to a cooler location and cool down by removing excess clothing and taking sips of sports drinks or water.

Remember these tips to stay safe throughout these next few days. As a community, we will overcome the heat together.