Follow PHS Cutlass

Subscribe for the latest stories!

* indicates required
Translate this article into the following languages
Meet our Staff!
Gabby Bova
Gabby Bova
Reporter

Gabby Bova is a sophomore at Palatine High School. Bova is Colombian American and can speak fluent Spanish. If you don’t find her marching or playing soccer, she’ll be sleeping. Bova enjoys debating...

What’s so special about “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”?

Taylor+Swift+sings+in+front+of+the+Arlington+Texas+crowd.+
Ronald S Woan via Creative Commons Wikipedia
Taylor Swift sings in front of the Arlington Texas crowd.

On October 27, 2023, worldwide star Taylor Swift will release her next album “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”. But why would she rerelease an album she already released?

Swift has been re-recording her albums over the last few years, such as Red (2012), Fearless (2008), Speak Now (2010). She re-releases them with the same title, adding “(Taylor’s Version)” to the end. After 1989, the last two albums she will re-record Reputation and her self-titled debut. Re-recording is when she, as the name suggests, re-records her old albums. They are still very similar to her originals, with only slight beat changes. She also adds “ Vault Tracks”, which are songs that got cut from the album. Some of her most popular songs include “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” and “Mr. Perfectly Fine.”

Why is she re-recording in the first place? In 2005, she signed to Big Machine Records, a contract lasting until 2018. By that time, she had reached global stardom and had six hit studio albums, sold out stadium tours, and a multitude of awards. After that contract expired, she switched to Universal’s Republic Records to be sure she had full ownership of her music. However Big Machine Records still owns the original recordings, or masters, of her first six albums.

In 2019, Big Machine sold her masters to Scooter Braun’s Ithaca holdings. Braun, a manager of well known singers such as Justin Bieber and Kanye West, wasn’t very liked by Taylor. Taylor Swift has said that Braun has repeatedly bullied her. He then sold her music to another company called Shamrock Holdings for a reported $300 million.This means that every time one of her songs is streamed, money is going into Braun’s pocket instead of Swift’s. She shamed the sale publicly and said she plans to re-record. 

Now on the fourth re-record of six, 1989 may be one of the most anticipated. The album is upbeat and catchy. Many fun songs that just make you feel good and in love are on the record. Some of her top songs are on that album, such as “Blank Space” and “Shake it Off”. I’m excited for this new album and if you haven’t, make sure to stream 1989 (Taylor’s Version), or any of her other released re-records.