Follow PHS Cutlass

Subscribe for the latest stories!

* indicates required
Translate this article into the following languages
Meet our Staff!
Megan Cox
Megan Cox
Graphic Design Editor

Megan Cox is a junior at Palatine High School. She is very involved in art at PHS and makes graphics for Cutlass. Cox is a photographer for the school yearbook. In her free time she volunteers at a dog...

Students witness rare solar eclipse

Astronomy teachers provided telescopes outfitted with solar filters for students to witness the eclipse up close.

Thousands of PHS students gathered at the football field as they watched the moon eclipse the sun last Monday. 

The unusual sight of a partially blocked sun drew the Palatine community together during this rare astronomical event.

“You know, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime event around here, and everyone’s together and having a good time,” sophomore Kyle Carlson said.

PHS Astronomy teachers, Mitch Tucker and Sean Fisher-Rohde, were also at the event providing students with the opportunity to learn more about the science behind the eclipse. 

“It’s absolutely fantastic that so many people are out here and interested.” Tucker said. “It’s something that’s really great for our community, and I think that it’s something that really brings our community together.”

Excitement was at an all time high as both students and teachers had their eyes pointed to the sky to witness the spectacle.

“All the music, and just seeing the eclipse is actually very cool,” sophomore Chris Lagunes said.

Lagunes also mentioned that people who were to have the unfortunate luck of missing this year’s solar eclipse would have to wait another 21 years for the next one.

“This is incredible,” astronomy teacher Sean Fisher-Rohde said. “We couldn’t have asked for a better day.”