The tale as old as time still resonates

Dan Stevens and Emma Watson play the title characters in Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast.

courtesy of movies.disney.com

courtesy of movies.disney.com

Haley Holz, Reporter

(Minor spoilers)

Disney fanatics rejoiced as the live action version of the iconic Beauty and the Beast hit the big screen over this weekend. Thousands of people both young and old gathered together to see Emma Watson and Dan Stevens bring Belle and the Beast to life.

For those who were hoping that everything would be exactly the same as the original movie, I’m sorry to inform that there were some changes. For those who have never seen the movie before this change, then some may think this movie is fantastic!

Both the original Beauty and the Beast and the latest live action version are both fantastic movies that hold all sorts of Disney Magic. Even though Beauty and the Beast, which came out in 1991, was a wonderful hit and a family favorite for thousands of households, Disney decided to change a few things in this classic tale.

The biggest change to the movie is the music. Not only did they add some new songs, but they changed some of the words in the original songs. The Beast is given his own song at the end of the movie, which for many was a wonderful surprise. I loved the original movie a lot, but these new songs were very interesting and added a lot to the movie as a whole.

Another change is that you get to see more of the backstory for both Belle and the Beast. Each character shares more of their history, whether it is by explaining it themselves or through the use of a new magical book, we get to learn so much more about them. I loved this because it answered many of the questions that the cartoon originally left you with.

Finally, a new character was added to this stunning movie. Maestro Cadenza, who was played by Stanley Tucci, is a piano who is in love with Madame Garderobe, played by Audra McDonald. Stanley Tucci brought this wonderful character to life and was a quite interesting new addition.

Beauty and the Beast live action, while slightly changed, did for the most part stay true to the original especially with the character Chip, who was played by Nathan Mack. He was almost too cute for words. Belle’s iconic yellow dress was still as beautiful as ever and Belle’s love for books is shown throughout the film. This movie was filled with other fantastic stars like Luke Evans who played Gaston, Josh Gad who was LeFou, and Emma Tompson who was the wonderful Mrs. Potts.

This new adaptation of the movie, even though it goes off story a little bit, is still a wonderful movie. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, I highly recommend that you go be their guest at your nearest movie theater. I loved this movie and I’m sure you will too. Don’t believe me? Ask the dishes.