Screenshot from November shout out video encouraging students to register to vote.

Students voice opinions on politics

January 22, 2018

A new study by The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement showed that only 50 percent of all eligible millennial voters voted in the 2016 presidential election. This number is strikingly low compared to any other generation.

During a time of such political decisiveness, it seems unusual that millennials are turning out in such low numbers. Even in 2008, there was a greater turnout out of millennial voters when 52 percent of them voted in the presidential election. This is most likely attributed to a mindset of not seeing voting as a civic duty, and therefore having no moral inclination to vote, according to Rob Ford of Manchester University.

Sam Imlay talks with fellow Pirate Anusha Jayaprakash about students and politics.

“I do not believe political awareness is important,” PHS Junior, Makayla Cooper said. “I don’t think that anything that we can really do politically wise would make a real difference at this point.”

As well as not seeing political involvement as a civic duty, young people often reject conformity to the ideology of “one or the other”. A disposition in which they are confronted when having to vote between the two major political parties. This decisiveness is thought to have driven younger voters away from the polls. This also further explains why senator Bernie Sanders had such a great amount of millennial support during the 2016 presidential campaign.

“Bernie was the only candidate that seemed to actually care about the American people and not just about the money,” PHS sophomore, Josalyn Service said. “He’s been fighting for America from the sidelines since day one, and I was hoping he would lead the same young fighters through 2020.”

There is a lack of interest in local elections as well. When surveyed, only 53.6 percent of thirty Palatine high school seniors planned on voting in the 2018 midterm elections.

“18-29 year-olds don’t usually turn out to vote, especially in non-presidential years,” PHS senior and Pirates and Politics executive board member, Anusha Jayaprakash said. “This leads to policies that our generation doesn’t agree with being implemented.”

Many young people feel as if their voices are not being heard throughout our government. Overall, there is a general discontentment with the current administration. According to the latest Gallup polls, Donald Trump’s approval rating is 36 percent amongst the nation. This record-breaking disenchantment with the administration only furthers the need for students to become involved with politics. By doing so they are allowing for the election of leaders that reflect the true values of the American people.

“In the past few months we have seen unthought out comments from our president,” PHS Sophomore, Emily Maltais said. “I think that both young people and adults are ashamed of the present government.”

Redefining the age gap in politics

As well as millenials making the effort to become more politically engaged, it is also important for political campaigns to actively seek younger volunteers. Campaigns are often aware of the older generations greater inclination to vote, as according to AARP forty-five percent of the electorate in the 2016 presidential election was fifty years old and up. Thus, they often cater their campaigns to the older generations and do not seek involvement by the younger generations. Despite this, it is crucial for students to become involved with their representatives.

“Students can become involved in politics by first of all, becoming informed about who their representatives are,” Jayaprakash said. “Students can [also] make a difference by making their voices heard by writing to their representatives, both locally and federally.”

A key part of becoming involved with your congressional leaders, is understanding what they stand for and how you can become involved within their campaign, especially for students who are ineligible to vote.

28 Palatine high school seniors surveyed.

There is two congressional districts in which students who go to Palatine High School may possibly be part of. In the House of Representatives, students are either represented by republican, Peter Roskam of the 6th district or democrat, Raja Krishnamoorthi of the 8th district. You can find which district you are a part of by entering your address here.

Peter Roskam is currently serving his 6th term, as representative of the 6th district. According to Roskam’s HOR’s biography, Roskam graduated from the University of Illinois. He then went on to earn his J.D. from IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law and began a law practice.

Roskam is a republican, as reflected by his views. According to Roskam for Congress, Roskam strongly supports Trump’s travel ban as well as strengthening border security. He also opposes the Affordable Care Act, is in favor of reducing corporate taxes, and is pro-life.

“Congressman Roskam appreciates the support of volunteers from all walks of life, including high school students serving as volunteers and interns at the campaign office,” The Roskam for Congress Team said. “To find out more about becoming an intern, students can reach out to our office to request an application.”

Students can work on the Roskam campaign through various forms of involvement, such as walking door to door, volunteering at the office, making phone calls etc., This information can be found here.

For those apart of the 8th district, Raja Krishnamoorthi graduated with honors from Harvard Law School, after becoming valedictorian of his high school class. He was Special Assistant Attorney General under Lisa Madigan, and he clerked for a federal judge according to Krishnamoorthi’s HOR’s biography.

Krishnamoorthi democratic views are reflected within his stances on the issues. According to Raja For Congress, he is for comprehensive immigration reform, combating climate change, passing common sense gun control and is pro-choice. He is also for combating opioid abuse, making college affordable and increasing access to child care.

The Krishnamoorthi campaign did not respond to my request for an interview. However students can sign to volunteer using this link. The Krishnamoorthi Schaumburg office can also be reached by calling (847) 413-1959.

Despite the younger generations disappointing voting history, there is hope for future elections. Not only that, but millenials are extremely involved in politics, even if it isn’t in the most outright way. Their lifestyles incorporate everyday acts of activism which help to shape the political atmosphere around them.

Through the use of social media, millenials are able to be more politically aware than any other generation. This political awareness is often weaponized in order to protect civil rights. There is also an increase is diverse way of thought, and it is of utmost importance that these varying opinions are validated and heard. Outside of these everyday acts of activism, there are also many opportunities in which the younger generation is able to stay directly political engaged.

“Even though I can’t vote,” Berg said. “I still want my voice to be heard.”

*This source’s name was changed for anonymity