Learning beyond the classroom

The art department organized a field trip to the Museum of Contemporary Art on Tuesday, Sept 19.

Sariah Corona, Reporter

Palatine High Schools students and teachers look forward to field trips and their impact on students lives. Students not only gain knowledge of the subject but they also gain experience working hands on and being able to see lessons in reality.

“Work in real life is more impactful than books.”PHS art teacher Rachel Bartlett said. “The work we seen was so big, it really just consumed you. Students are able to make more of a connection with the art when seeing it in real life rather than on a screen.” 

The PHS art department took Art students to see Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakamis art work in Chicago at the Museum of Contemporary Art. The artist has been recognized for such detailed work and worked with Kanye West for album cover Graduation.

“Any tangible experience is better than doing research. It sticks better with students,” Bartlett explains.

Many students are able to grasp better experiencing and doing hands-on rather. Not only do students gain experience but they also gain motivation and become inspired. Inspiration is vital in order for students to expand knowledge in possible future careers.

“I learned that I want to work with kids and it gave me a glimpse of the environment that they are in,” PHS senior Jacqueline Rendon says.

Palatine High School offers a class with Pirate Pete School to students who want to work with small children and give them that opportunity. This class teaches many things such as lesson planning, positive ways to interact with children and offers an end of year field trip to the Children’s Museum in Chicago. At the museum students are able to explore how the minds of younger children work and what interests them.

“These kind of field trips are important because you get opportunities to go to them and you not only gain information from them but you walk out from the field trip with new experience. You learn content that you aren’t able to learn just by sitting in a classroom setting,” Rendon says.