PHS students organize voluntary Never Again assembly

Students organize an assembly to discuss violence and guns in school.

Monika Juras, Opinions Editor

PHS had its student-run Never Again assembly on Wednesday, March 14 in the main gym at 10 a.m. to honor the National School Walkout that began at the same time.

The assembly was coordinated by Palatine’s Political Action Committee with the aid of social studies teacher Leslie Schock.

“We’re having this assembly instead of a walkout because it allows for more student involvement,” senior Anusha Jayaprakash said. “[The Parkland shooting survivors] don’t want students to be silent, as would be the case if we all sat for 17 minutes, but to have our voices heard.”

PHS students spoke about the political responsibility of young adults and addressed the issue of gun control in light of the recent school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Social studies teacher Kimberly Graur opened the assembly by recounting her experience during the Boston bombing, which then led into a discussion of the need for change if the issue of gun violence is to be resolved.

A video of several Parkland shooting survivors expressing their thoughts on this nationwide problem was shown, and afterwards the students that had organized the assembly took turns going up to speak.

These students addressed the incident that had taken place at PHS on March 5 and discussed the safety protocol followed by the school administration for such events.

Information about the March for Our Lives, which will take place on March 24, was provided. Attention was also directed towards the Countable app, which is now available in Self-Service on every student’s iPads, namely how to use it to be politically conscious.

The student speakers also provided contact information for local political organizations such as Greater Palatine Area Democrats and the Palatine Township Republican Organization.

They also encouraged all students old enough to vote to do so in this month’s primaries.

The assembly concluded with a call to action to all attendees: if students want to see a change, they ought to use the resources available to them to bring about this change.

Students had an extended homeroom after second period, and during this time everyone had the option to attend the 25-minute assembly.

“I’m really proud of what we’ve been able to put together for this assembly in such a short time frame. I think that students will find the information we’re presenting not only very helpful, but also very motivating and inspiring,” sophomore Nataly Panczyk said. “Our goal is to positively lead students to become more active in their communities, to stand up for the safety they deserve, and to become informed and powerful citizens in their future endeavors and present occupations.”

The Palatine students who presented in the assembly included: Karina Theobald, Anusha Jayaprakash, Nataly Panczyk, Nithya Arun, Izzy Serafino, Chase Friel, Janvi Shah, Gaby Cherian, Natalia Medina, Mandy Logan, Shamoun Daudi, Gabrielle Cervantes and Isabel Kaegi.

Rather than attending the assembly, approximately 40 students opted to walk out of school in honor of the Never Again movement.