The desire to be a real Ironman

Mariana Fronimos

Mariana Fronimos, Reporter

Louis Fronimos had a big ambition. He wanted to be an Ironman. Although there was many ups and downs during the process, his consistent eagerness and drive led him to success. 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 mile bicycle ride, and running a whole marathon without a break later, he became an Ironman.

Training for an Ironman is not an easy task, but it’s something anyone can accomplish. The biggest obstacle is things beyond control and being doubtful. Louis Fronimos wanted to become an Ironman to prove to his daughters that you should set goals, never give up, and inspire them to live a healthy lifestyle.

“It’s a privilege to do something like that when I’m healthy” Louis Fronimos said. “Because so many people don’t have the opportunity. I’m blessed I can do it.”

In total, the amount of time put into working towards becoming an Ironman takes a year of training. Finding the right times to train and work around a daily routine can be difficult. Louis Fronimos started working on training on his bike first twelve months before the race. Three months later he trained intensively on swimming, biking and running. When it was six months before the big day he would go running every Saturday and long bike rides Sundays for over four hours. It’s important if you have someone thinking of embarking on such an endeavor that all the family members come together and the sacrifices are discussed and agreed upon. Training interferes with the athlete’s daily routine and their families too.

“When a loved one trains for such a huge endeavor such as the Ironman, it affects the entire family in an almost immeasurable way.” Penny Fronimos said. “Training began a year out for my husband and took almost every free minute of every free day. That meant I was a single mother and my children were in a way fatherless for a good part of the year leading up to the race, but it was a sacrifice which was worth it to support a family member’s dream.”

During an Ironman an athlete is on the biking course for over six hours. “Master the bike.” Louis Fronimos said. “The bike ride is key. Be attentive to nutrition and build resistance.”

Penny Fronimos described spectating at the Ironman as electric.

“You could feel the electricity in the air. You could see the sacrifice, pain and joy in the participants faces and bodies.” she described. “It was a shot of adrenaline to see your loved one cross the finish line. It was pure happiness, pride and relief that it was finally over!”

After experiencing the 17-hour journey, sun up to sun down, half tourist and half triathlete spectators are exhausted but it is definitely a memorable experience more people should try to accomplish. Thousands of bright suns can’t hold a candle to the aura of an athlete who crosses the finish line.