Do students remember 9/11?

Albin Lohr-Jones/Sipa USA/TNS from Tribune News Service subscription

The name of a victim of the 9/11 attacks is seen adorned an American flag on the perimeter of a reflecting pool at a ceremony commemoratoing the 16th anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center site in New York, New York, NY, USA on September 11, 2017

Alekhya Thotakura, Reporter

Earlier this month was the 17th anniversary of 9/11. In school, it is the third year that it’s taught as history rather than a current event.

“Oh I didn’t realize it was today,” Annette Flores (22) said. “Now I feel sad because of all the people that died and were hurt by it.”

“I don’t know, I feel normal I guess?” said Philip An (22). “Part of me feels that I don’t care about 9/11 cause it doesn’t affect me, whatever, and it happened in the past. But part of me is sad cause so many people just lost their lives just cause of a terrorist attack.”

“It’s a memorial for what happened 17 years ago,” said Isabella Abarca (20).

“It presents both a sad day in America and a triumphant day,” said Julian Dominguez (21). “I’m very serious.”

The younger generation seem to have forgotten it was 9/11 while the older students remember it.

“One reason that they might not remember that it’s 9/11 is that they weren’t born yet, or were just born,” replied Ann Crumlish, a history teacher at Fremd High School.