Blood drive comes to PHS

Andrew Duran, Reporter

This Friday, November 16, Palatine High School will be hosting its own blood drive, from 7:30 AM through 7th period. One out of every ten people entering a hospital will need a blood transfusion. This life-saving procedure is fueled by generous donors worldwide, from numerous countries and areas.

“[Blood is] a substance that we all need for our bodies,” Caraline Anderson, a blood donor, said. “It’s just like basic human decency.”

Blood donations, on average, can save three lives each. With 165 blood donation slots, Palatine’s blood drive this Friday has the potential to save nearly 500 lives.

“It’s a great idea if you’re medically cleared for it,” NHS member Aaron Kleinschmidt said. “A lot of people need blood transfusions desperately, and you might think that there’s enough to go around, but really, people don’t donate often enough. It’s just one of those gifts that people with healthy bodies can give.”

Any student over the age of 16 is eligible to donate.

“There’s always a need for blood,” Palatine’s NHS sponsor Megan Gabrielson said. “And so it’s good [for raising] awareness starting at the high school level. Especially for students, it’s important to have that kind of experiences for the future if it’s something they’re interested in.”

Remember, all blood donors will receive a free Chicago Bears t-shirt! Don’t forget your photo ID and your signed permission slip if you are under 17 years old.