Homework before summer 2019– binge “Stranger Things”

The+intentionally+eerie+%E2%80%9CStranger+Things%E2%80%9D+title+further+contributes+to+the+overall+creepy+vibe+of+the+show.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The intentionally eerie “Stranger Things” title further contributes to the overall creepy vibe of the show.

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Emily Panczyk, Reporter

Imagine biking home from a friend’s house in the dark, when a zombie-like figure appears in the distance, sending you down into a ditch. You don’t even bother to retrieve your half-broken bike, you just run as fast as your legs can go until you arrive at home.

You finally think you’re safe until the creature is visible through your front door. Panicked, your only option is to head for the shed where the gun is kept, which may or may not take down this living nightmare. The single light bulb hung a few feet from the tin roof flickers once, twice, and then you’ve disappeared.

Three middle schoolers, Lucas, Dustin, and Mike, are on the hunt for their abducted friend Will, who was announced missing in their tiny town of Hawkins, Indiana near a top-secret government laboratory late one evening.

While searching, they run into a girl whose head is completely shaved, wearing a grungy hospital gown, and the number 11 tattooed on her arm. The girl is extremely shy and rarely speaks, so the boys call her eleven, or Elle for short.

Mike decided to take her in and care for her her without letting his parents ever find out. Once she becomes more comfortable with the group, she unveils her hidden powers and explains that she’s hiding from a monster. Meanwhile, Will’s mom receives a phone call and swears that she can hear Will.

“Stranger Things” is one of Netflix’s most beloved science fiction series. The first season premiered in July 2016, but it still has managed to captivate viewers to this day.

Although “Stranger Things” may take a few episodes before you begin to thoroughly enjoy it, most would say it is worth it.

“First off, Stranger Things is amazing and I would highly recommend it!” Christina Buckstaff, a PHS junior said. “The first season got a lot of attention for how good it was, and that attention was definitely deserved. Some people/critics didn’t like the second season as much, but coming from the standpoint of a fan, they took it in a direction I wasn’t necessarily expecting but still really enjoyed. I also think it’s incredible that most of the main characters are played by teenagers that didn’t have much experience before this. The producers got really lucky with an incredibly talented cast.”

There are only two seasons, however, each episode becomes even more intriguing and makes binge watching a necessity. Season Three is expected to come out summer of 2019.

Viewers were not happy about the wait. Cindy Holland, Netflix’s Vice President of Original Content, claims it will be the best one yet, and that they were taking the time to get it just right.

About the Writer
Emily Panczyk, Reporter

Emily Panczyk is a freshman at Palatine High School. Along with being involved in Cutlass, she’s a member of Varsity Poms and plans to join Student Council...