Make yourself some dumplings and watch “Crazy Rich Asians” this weekend

Wikimedia

“Crazy Rich Asians” is the most colorful film of the year.

Nataly Panczyk, A&E Editor

“Crazy Rich Asians” was arguably one of the best films I’ve seen this year.

While I don’t usually spend my free time watching movies (I’m much more of a “Grey’s Anatomy” binge-session kind of girl), this film was a clear exception. I begrudgingly began watching it thanks to my sister, and much to my surprise, I was immediately entranced by the bright colors and generally bubbly nature of the film.

While the plot wasn’t original in the slightest (Cinderella ring a bell?), the execution of a timeless storyline proved to be brilliant. Of course, the appearance of the main character Nick Young (Henry Golding, err— Prince Charming) only helped their case.

The story begins innocently enough: Cute couple in New York, quaintly sipping on their lattes, talking about finally meeting “the family.” Seems harmless. Of course, then you find out that the boyfriend’s (Nick Young’s) family isn’t your typical “mother-in-law-from-Hell.” No, she’s the devil, and she’s wearing head-to-toe Prada.

His girlfriend (Rachel Chu) is quite the opposite. Anyone with half a conscience would be delighted to bring Rachel home to their parents. An economics professor at NYU, well-spoken, intelligent, friendly— she’s practically perfect. Except that she’s not dripping in diamonds. Not yet, anyways. Rachel’s family consists solely of her immigrant mother, so needless to say, they didn’t have much money.

Shortly after their coffee shop date, Nick and Rachel are flying first class to Singapore for Nick’s best friend’s wedding. Doubtful they could’ve afforded such expensive tickets, Rachel immediately questions Nick’s family background, a topic she’d never been able to get him to talk about much until this point. Eventually he reveals that they are “comfortable.” Sure.

Very quickly, Rachel’s lack of socioeconomic status becomes highly problematic for the “Crazy Rich Asians” of Singapore, who completely disapprove of her dating their most prized Prince Charming.

The film follows Rachel and Nick throughout their time in Singapore, through bachelor parties, best friend reunions, cocktail parties, and dumpling making sessions, all while watching their relationship desperately cling together as it is yanked apart from every other direction.

Despite its predictability in plot, or perhaps thanks to it, “Crazy Rich Asians” has quickly become adored by Americans, and this most definitely holds true for PHS students.

“I thought the acting was good” Izzy Hagenbuch, a junior, said. “ It was a good mix of comedy and a very serious deeper meaning.”

She went on to elaborate that a common theme of acceptance and general kindness was thoroughly emphasized by the film. The overall message was extraordinarily positive, not to mention inspiring for Asian Americans, who rarely see their culture portrayed in Hollywood.

“Crazy Rich Asians is beyond beneficial for Asian representation in the media.” Josalyn Service, a junior at PHS said. “Especially for myself, for someone who never sees myself in my own culture in movies. The movie is so beautifully shot. I cried.”

Even without an original story, “Crazy Rich Asians” is worth seeing strictly for the cinematography. Between the decadent food, lavish clothing, and enormous mansions, it’s arguable that the scenery was just as, if not more, crucial to the piece as the acting and plot themselves.

“I thought it was beautiful, like the scenery in the vacation scene was, wow” Ricky Orozco, junior at PHS, said. “This is amazing.”

Although it was snubbed at the Oscars, leaving many fans incredibly disappointed and speculative, “Crazy Rich Asians” is definitely worth pausing your Netflix-series-of-choice binge for. In fact, with this weekend’s weather forecast, you’ll probably have time for both.