PHS swim and dive make Seniors Night worthwhile

Monika Jurevicius, Sports Editor

Seniors from Palatine High School swim and dive had to bid their farewells to coaches and younger teammates at the PHS Seniors Night. They [the seniors] collectively joined to take pictures with friends and family towards the end of the night. A total of 14 senior swimmers and divers attended their PHS meet on Feb. 1, 2020. 

Many of the swimmers from both PHS and Barrington High School, the away team, broke personal and pool records during the night. PHS senior Christian Snyder broke records in the 50 meter Free and the 100 meter Fly. The 100 meter Fly is Snyder’s favorite event to swim out of all events.

“Swimming was the last sport I expected to do,” explained Snyder on his Senior poster. “Cherish your time in high school swimming because you only have four years of it.”

In dive, PHS Senior Divers Will Danielson and Aditya Khare both scored well with scores of five and six across the board. In the fifth round, AJ Krambeer scored a seven from the official IHSA referee.

“I did swimming as a freshman then became a diver during sophomore year,” Krambeer talks about his start as a diver as his time as a PHS diver ends. 

Both PHS and BHS supported and congrulated each other after each dive and when all events were over in the diving category.

Pirates fought hard but lost to Bisons 83-102. However, lasting memories were made throughout the swim and dive seasons. Swimmers Luke Hedstorm and Will Escudero remember the times of making waffles after Tuesday practices with “the boys”. PHS swim and dive competes next at Schaumburg High School for their conference meet on Feb. 15. Diving events starts at 9 a.m; swimming events start at 1 p.m.