Bittersweet defeat for the Pirates against the Rolling Meadows Mustangs

Anya Ball

The PHS Pirates played a tough with the RMHS Mustangs, with a Pirate defeat of 1-2. This photo is from the 2020 varsity soccer season.

Bryan D Gomez, Reporter

The Pirates lost 1-2 against the Mustangs from Rolling Meadows High School in an unlucky evening for the Pirates.
The evening of September 14, 2021, the Pirates hosted the Mustangs, looking desperately for a victory that could rescue the season.
“We fought hard, lack of focus and finishing” Junior Dennis Valle said.

It was a nightmare start for the pirates, who conceded the first goal of the evening within the opening in the first half. Consequently, the Pirates started to play solid in defense. Unfortunately, the first half ended up 0-1 for the Mustangs who vacated their offensive labors laying their defense in the back. 

The second half started aggressively for the pirates with some changes in the lineup that resulted in a clear dominance over the Mustangs but unfortunately with a lack of creativity and ideas in the offensive. A lost ball in the area that Valle took advantage of to make the equalizer for the pirates. 

The second half seemed to be handled by the Pirates until a mistake in the area appeared and gave the Mustangs the opportunity to win and conclude the evening game with a clear one on one against the goalkeeper. The score was 1-2 with only 5 minutes remaining on the clock, the Pirates were failing. 

The Mustangs stole the three points in a game where it seemed the Pirates deserved more, but also, in a game where the Mustangs ran their opportunities.