Palatine basketball crowned regional champs

MaryRose Weatherton, Sports Editor

The Pirate basketball team beat out Hersey, 63-48, last Friday night to claim the title of regional champs. This was just another in the long list of wins and accomplishments the Pirates had this year.

This season has been a great one for the program. The team has been the first in more than ten years to get twenty wins in a single season. Many of the players have been honored, including senior Chris Macahon being named to the 2014 Jack Tosh Holiday Classic All-Tournament team, and RJ Smith and Justin Chaney who received All-Tournament honors at Lake Zurich’s MLK tournament. Most importantly, this has been the first Palatine win at Fremd in ten years.

The award for most improved goes to senior Justin Chaney. Chaney has made the difference in many of the Pirate’s closer games. Last year the shy guard played in spurts, he was known for his shooting abilities but his overall game was sub-par. This year, though, Chaney brought all he had. His huge improvement and effort has made him an asset to the team.

Chaney, along with the other five seniors have been the team’s biggest asset. When asked what factors lead to such a great season, Coach Eric Millstone raved about his inter-team leadership. “We have a great group of seniors. We talk about taking the right approach to whatever you do. They’ve all taken the right approach doing everything this season.”

The fan section at the games has been steadily growing as the Pirates take down opponent after opponent. Coach Millstone welcomes the sometimes rowdy but always supportive crowd saying, “It’s been awhile since our fans have been able to celebrate any bring in basketball, I welcome the fans.” And even though coach says the boys shouldn’t rely on anyone but themselves, “[the attitudes of] the fans helped out at Barrington and Fremd.”

The Pirates face Lake Park at 7:30 Wednesday March 11 at Barrington high school. Come out to support your regional basketball champions! Go Pirates!

Palatine's seniors are the reigning regional champions
Palatine’s seniors are the reigning regional champions