Boys basketball readies for a new season

Natalia Golash

The varsity team practices as they ready for the season.

Parker Sanchez, Reporter

Balls ricochet off of the court, accompanied by the slowing squeaks of Palatine’s varsity basketball team as one by one they head to the locker room drained both physically and emotionally following one of the first practices of the 2015-16 season.

Ahead of their first regular season game on Nov. 24 against Waubonsie Valley, head coach Eric Millstone is optimistic about the ability of his team to surpass their already impressive 22-9 record from the season before.

“It’s difficult to get a good flow this early on, with so many students still occupied with football,” Coach Millstone said. “But based on the combined previous basketball experience, I have every reason to believe that we’ll be right there when the season is in full swing.”

Coach Millstone attributes some of his team’s competitive nature to the sense of finality that the seniors feel entering into the 2015-16 season, as most of them play their last games of competitive basketball.

“I always look forward to the entire experience as a whole, but I especially look forward to coaching the senior class. It’s fun watching these kids grow up right before you,” says Millstone.

This year, making his first appearance on the varsity team, sophomore guard Johnny O’Shea, who expresses his anticipation for his first season on the varsity level.

“I’m excited, I think we’ll be one of the best teams in the conference this year,” says O’Shea.

The varsity boys look ready to take on the season together, eager to surpass their predecessors in accomplishments on the court, but to also bond and grow together as one unit.