Pirates drop 2 over weekend

Itai Epstein

Senior Jovone Stricker contests a shot Friday nigh against Conant

Brian Rehm, Reporter

The Pirates took the court for a Friday-Saturday double header against conference rival Conant, and Glenbrook South. The Pirates found themselves on the losing end of both match ups and fell to a 11-6 record on the season.

Friday nights rivalry showdown was a good one. The contest saw the Cougars of Conant (10-4, 4-0) prevail by a score of 58-52. The shots weren’t falling for the Pirates as they lost their first home conference game of the season. Junior James Sotos (19 points) and sophomore Ben Schols (11 points) were just enough to allow Conant to escape to victory.

In the third quarter the Pirates found themselves trailing the Cougars by 16. That’s when Palatine decided they weren’t going down without a fight. The Pirates looked to senior leaders Matt Ulrich (14 points) and Charlie Van Dyke (9 points) for a boost. Van Dyke helped cut the Conant lead with his sharp shooting while Ulrich helped out with his all around play.

Conant offers you a very little window inside and we didn’t take advantage of it in the first half, in the second half we got some shots to go down and we started playing with some bounce” said head coach Eric Millstone on Fridays loss.

The Pirates managed to get it down to 2, but it was too little a little too late. The ball didn’t want to go in for the Pirates and left them with the loss.

On Saturday Palatine traveled to Glenbrook South for their first road game of 2016. The two teams combined for an amazing 144 points in a game higher scoring than some NBA contests.

The Pirates were led by senior Jovone Stricker (13 points) along with seniors Chris Refka and Charlie Van Dyke who both had 13 points too. Martinelli and Giannkopolos combined for 39 for the Titans, while Jenkins added on 13.

The Pirates once again had a chance to tie or win the game as they were down two and GBS kept missing free throws. However, just like the previous night, Palatine couldn’t take advantage and fell 73-71.

The Pirates are back in action on Thursday night as they host rival Barrington, and the Saturday and Monday in the Lake Zurich Martin Luther King Jr. Tournament.