Cupcakes for a cause comes to PHS

Courtesy of Laura Weaver

Cupcakes for a Cause from 2014. Twinkie minion cupcakes were the star of the event.

James Jefferson, Reporter

There’s a special event taking place at Palatine High School on Saturday, March 5: Cupcakes for a Cause. This event raises money to help autism research.
“We borrowed this idea from Hoffman Estates High School. This helps fund all of the clubs in the special education department.” Special Education teacher Dawn Shepherd says.
Shepherd explained that the Special Olympics, the PAC club and Best Buddies are the clubs that will benefit the most from Cupcakes for a Cause
A lot of people from the community help with this event. Most notably, Harper College, different home rooms and all of the foods classes pitch in to help. Students that are interested in volunteering to help with the event can contact Sheperd at [email protected].
The event is open to everyone in the community and entry is free. Cupcakes are $2 each and $20 for a dozen.
There are anywhere between 2,000­ and 4,000 cupcakes made every year. In addition, there’s a contest for who made and decorated the best cupcakes. If participants enter the contest, they have a chance to win several raffle prizes which include tickets to Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox games.
Come out on Saturday and support Cupcakes for a Cause. This is a great event that is very popular in the community.