PHS teachers play “Wheel of Fortune”

Jordan Palmer, News Editor

Palatine High School teachers Dan and Jen Collins made an appearance on the popular game show “Wheel of Fortune” on Feb. 17, 2016.

The Collinses auditioned to be on the show back in the spring of 2014.

“I submitted a video,” said Jen Collins about the auditioning process. “And then from the video they sent me an email with an invitation to go to the Palmer House in Chicago, and bring a guest if I wanted, so I brought my husband.”

The Collinses left the game with $2000 after solving the phrase “raspberry yogurt”.

Dan and Jen got more attention than they were expecting when a clip from the episode they were on went viral because of the couple next to them. Asked by host Pat Sajak what country Venice was in, the couple next to the Collinses answered “Paris”. The clip was shown on CNN and Good Morning America.

The Collinses are not new to game shows. Jen was on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” in 2012, winning $12000. She still hopes to be on one more game show.

“We flew out after school, taped the next day, and took a red eye home,” Jen said, “so we were here for work.” The whole ordeal took less than 48 hours.

“The people that I got to meet that were also contestants had to be my favorite part,” Jen said about the whole experience. “There was even a couple from Buffalo Grove. So that was pretty neat.”

PHS teachers Dan and Jen Collins compete on Wheel of Fortune, one of their favorite game shows.