Refka’s 9 K’s not enough as Pirates fall to Fremd

Micheal Martinez

Senior Chris Refka pitches on Monday against Fremd

Brian Rehm, Reporter

Monday’s contest against Fremd turned into an unexpected home game for the Pirates. Although ace pitcher, senior Chris Refka, was able the strike out nine Viking batters, the Palatine bats fell silent, resulting in a 1-0 loss to their crosstown rivals.

Refka pitched very well for the first six innings, but in the bottom of the seventh Fremd had him figured out just enough. With guys on second and third with only one out, Fremd’s Tommy Josten decided to try and bunt the winning, and only run, home. He did just that. Third baseman, junior Zach Oles, dived for the pop up bunt, but his attempt at possibly saving the game for the Pirates, fell just short.

It wasn’t just Refka that was good on the mound, Fremd’s JT Kolderup held Palatine to only five hits for the day. Even when Pirate runners were able to get to second and third, Kolderup was able to get out of the inning. Refka got himself out of a bases loaded situation in the 3rd with the help of two big strikeouts.

In the bottom of the second inning sophomore Jake Moertl tried his best to get momentum on the Pirates side. Moertl was able to make a diving grab in foul territory just over the tarp in left field. While the nice grab gave the Pirates some momentum on defense, their offense just wasn’t able to get going.

The Pirates next game is Wednesday at home against Fremd. It will also be the sMACk Cancer Out of the Park fundraiser for former basketball and baseball star Chris Macahon.