Through the eyes of Ray Bradbury

Julia Plesniak, Reporter

Through the eyes of Ray Bradbury when he saw the future he saw a man walking on the moon and technological advancement that would bring the world on a basis and the guidance to help answer questions and solve problems.

In the time that Fahrenheit 451 was written the only technology they had was television and phones. But yet he still thought it would takeover the populations lives and blind them into thinking that the way to reality was the way through technology.

Sixteen years after the book was written the first man walked on the moon. With the events that had taken place in technology did Bradbury think that the impossible could happen after being able to see moving picture on a small screen or being able to laugh along with a character and not real person? When being overwhelmed with something so big as technology you come to see and think that if this could happen, then a lot else could happen too. Technology could do that to you.

With all of the advances in technology in the past years, you see that Ray Bradbury was right in his prediction. That technology doesn’t circle around us, but we circle around technology.

I can’t help but think that if Ray Bradbury saw the technology being made then, did he make an inconclusive discovery that some day our lives would circle around it? Or do you think from society’s standpoint, that the topic was overwhelmed into having people automatically think that technology would be made into this big topic eventually?

With all of the advances in technology in the past years, you see that Ray Bradbury was right in his prediction. That technology doesn’t circle around us, but we circle around technology. But, why did Bradbury think this would happen at such a premature age in technology?

“I believe that the introduction to the television prompted his science-fiction novel.” English teacher Jessica Means said “He predicted that they would isolate and impede on communication. Also, the book discusses the issue with pleasing the masses, which would in the end cause censorship.”

With the little amount of technology that was brought up, even then the world saw nothing more then the glamour of bright lights and new futuristic ways of life. Nothing imaginable would cause this thought in only the brightest and realist of minds, like Ray Bradbury. With his aphorism of this theory it didn’t only cause questioning throughout, it predicted the truth that had taken years to unfold and bring to life.

But from a different outlook do others think the world is too tangled up in the chaotic web of technology?

“At times, yes, I do believe our world is too caught up in technology.” Means said. “I see groups of students hanging out, but they are not talking with one another. Instead, they are plugged into their ear buds. Although they are among friends, they are isolated and not communicating. Even I find myself reaching for my phone to check an update if my phone beeps when spending time with my family. There is a need to check it immediately. In this regard, I believe that our world is most definitely changing. We are becoming a culture that wants information quickly and prefer snapshots of information, instead of reading longer pieces. Fast is better. Quality is going to the wayside.”

With this it feels as though technology is almost taking away the aspect of life and living it without having to look at your phone or watch tv. There are many ways that Fahrenheit 451 shows this. Throughout the whole story it kind of showed how this block that was being made, took the emotion and individuality from the lives of people who thought that technology would better their lives. At some point it does, but in certain ways it doesn’t. Portraying that they couldn’t live without it, and weren’t allowed to either. But only some wanted to be freed from technology. Like only some in this world don’t feel that technology is necessary and meaningful.

Certain people can tell what would happen and foreshadow the future being of some uncertainties. Ray Bradbury may have just been really good at reading between the lines and foreseeing what would happen next. Even with all of the advancements this world has made, the world is long ways away from finishing.

The question that still lingers is, “what does the future hold?” Still dependencies of technology or the reinforcement of it? Only time will tell.