Ready for homecoming 2017?

Amber Domanus, Reporter

Palatine High School students get ready for the annual homecoming by stressing over dates, outfits and after parties while preparing themselves for a memorable night on Sept 16.

“It’s nice to dress up, find creative ways to ask people and it creates a nice atmosphere in the school,” PHS senior Brian Sonderegger said. “It is a nice event that helps bring people back together after a long summer.”

Homecoming, one of the first big events of the year, is inclusive and is open to everyone from freshman through senior year and even people from other schools if they have a completed guest pass. It is an event that helps show Pirate Pride and celebrate what makes the school special. Student council and many others clubs come together and spend many hours on organizing homecoming so that everyone can attend.

“Going to homecoming is all a part of the high school experience,” PHS sophomore Josalyn Service said. “You can only be young once.”

While students are encouraged to have fun, there are still a number of rules. All normal school rules apply and all students are expected to bring their I.D. for easy identification. It is open from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. in order to give time for the students to get ready and allow the dance to go into the night without being too late to pick up students. All guests must arrive by 9 pm at the gym entrance and will not be allowed back in after leaving.

“It allows you to see and connect with people that you go to school with in a different non-school setting.” PHS freshman Hannah Groom said. “It’s important to just dance with your friends and have a good time.”

Nice, semi-formal attire is expected and appreciated to appropriately reflect this year’s Great Gatsby themed dance. This opportunity set up by the school is an accessible way to make new friends and let loose with old ones in a comfortable setting.