Diving Dana

Dana+Balog+skydiving+at+Skydive+Chicago.+

Courtesy of Skydive Chicago employee

Dana Balog skydiving at Skydive Chicago.

Meghan Fortunato, Reporter

Falling out of a plane around 12,500 feet isn’t everyone’s idea of having fun. But for senior Sana Balog at Palatine High school Dana Balog, she had no problem skydiving on her birthday. Dana turned 18 on August 18, 2017. She had gone with her dad and older sister to embark in the experience themselves.

Dana wouldn’t describe herself as a very outgoing person but would definitely go again. She loves to live in the moment and experience something when the opportunity approaches her.

“I would love to have a career in an outgoing type of field because the people who worked at Skydive Chicago were free spirited and it was nice to be around that environment because they loved showing up to work everyday,” Balog said.

Waiting 45 minutes at Skydive Chicago, Dana was fearful that she wouldn’t be able to do it and had her doubts as well. But she surprisingly overcame those results once she was geared up and took the air with her father and sister by her side. The fear turned into excitement once she and launched out of the plane.

The question many may want answered is on how it felt to free fall, but Dana could not describe it. “We dropped for about a minute and then pulled our shoots,” Balog said. “It’s an unexplainable feeling to fall, and it turned out not to be scary, but more relaxing in a way.”

Talking to other students and friends that know her personally from activities, they know that Dana is a girl who will bring something new to the table and always work hard in whatever she is participating in.

“She is a passionate girl who is determined and always working hard in all her activities, it is great watching her grow as an individual,” Senior Tiffany Steigerwald said.

The high school student is an active member from being involved on swim team, managing boys water polo, lacrosse, and swim team. As well as participating in robotics, service club, and two years of best buddies. She is a dedicated student balancing sports, clubs, and academics.

“Last year I was at the high school until 1:00 in the morning a couple times a week building my robot for a robotic battle,” Balog said, as she was discussing her favorite club.

It took place at Rolling Meadows high school and the event was known for having students gather around and have their robots fight in a battle to see an outcome of a winner. The tournament was known as Robot Rumble.

From others point of view they could argue that Dana is an adventurous girl. Talking to her classmates they could all agree that she is a sweet girl who comes up with spontaneous ideas that others fear to do in a lifetime. This senior of Palatine is a normal girl who attends football games and hangs with friends but has a side of her that others have love to come and know. Through intelligence and her confidence it has shown that Dana is an adventurous student.

Dana has been an inspiration to friends and family though all her activities. She has come a long way with her personality and stamina. I can only wait to see what bright future is waiting for Dana in the next few years and inspire others from her success.