Donald Trump is ending DACA

Gabrielle+Cervantes+%2818%29+becomes+a+US+citizen+at+a+naturalization+ceremony.+

Gabrielle Cervantes (18) becomes a US citizen at a naturalization ceremony.

Lily Morris, Reporter

Monday, Sep. 5, under the direction of Donald Trump, Attorney General, Jeff Sessions of the US Justice Department, announced that DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), will no longer be continued.

DACA is an immigration policy which was implemented by former President Barack Obama, during his administration in 2014. DACA was put in place to support Dreamers, or undocumented immigrants who arrived in the U.S. before the age of 16.

“PHS offers a number of resources for students with DACA and for students that are undocumented,” Palatine High School English teacher Elizabeth Sheehan explains, “If a student would like more information about social/emotional resources or expertise with legal or bureaucratic issues, they should speak with their counselor, who can put them in touch with those resources”.

Although the program does not grant citizenship, it allows Dreamers to stay in the US as long as they remain law-abiding people, and renew their permit to live and work in the country.

The decision to end DACA was made because Congress deemed it unconstitutional. Even though Congress has until March 2018 to make the final call about DACA, many people are worried about the pending removal of the policy, especially the 800,000 Dreamers it will affect.

If DACA is revoked, Dreamers will eventually lose protection from the government and become eligible for deportation. As for the US economy, without DACA, it is estimated that the Gross Domestic Product will drop $460 million.