National Football League players take a knee

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Players from the Miami Dolphins taking a knee during the National Anthem on Sept. 11, 2016.

Lily Morris, Reporter

During the 2016 football season, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the national anthem in a silent way to protest the racial injustice in the U.S. Consequently, Kaepernick’s actions spurred dramatic nationwide controversy over whether it was acceptable or not to kneel during the national anthem.

Kaepernick started a trend, as more NFL players have knelt during the national anthem. Most of these players who kneel are black and justify their actions by stating that they are merely exercising their first amendment rights in peaceful opposition to the ongoing police brutality by white officers towards black people.

Donald Trump is very outspoken on the matter, as he believes that kneeling during the national anthem is extremely insulting to the U.S., and to those who currently serve, and have served in the armed forces.

PHS students like Aaron Spaletto also believe that kneeling for the national anthem is disrespectful.

“I feel that [kneeling during the anthem] is rude towards the veterans,” Spaletto states, “but if they want to kneel, then they can. It’s a free country”.

In the week of Sep 23, Trump took to Twitter to express his disapproval. He states that all NFL players who kneel during the national anthem should be fired or suspended, and he called on the NFL fans to refuse to attend games if the kneeling does not stop. Also, Trump claims that ever since players began to kneel, NFL ratings have gone “WAY DOWN”, even though it cannot be determined if that was true.

Despite Trump’s outward objection, many players continue to show their defiance and kneel during the anthem.

PHS junior, Tiara Haughton expresses her opinion on the matter as well.

“Colin Kaepernick started the kneeling to protest police brutality and inequality for the innocent black lives lost, he’s giving a voice to the voiceless because of his big platform,” Haughton argues, “Everyone participating in this protest just want to see change because still today, our country oppresses the oppressed to the point where they can’t do much about it”.

Varying reactions regarding the controversy have surfaced due to the different ways people interpret the symbol of our flag. Regardless of point of view, the right to protest is core to democracy, and the first amendment of the Constitution. However, emotions will not cease to run high as players continue to shed light on this social issue.