Halloween fest a treat for kids and teens

Gary Guzman

Students set up a room for the 2017 Trick or Treat Fest.

Lilibeth Arreola and

A little pikachu runs into the classroom, excited more than ever to get a hold of candy, he rushes to the back of the CPD room to play Plinko. A grin extends across his face when his ball falls into the winning pit, he receives three pieces of candy.

On October 26, 2017, Palatine High School hosted its annual Halloween Fest, an evening dedicated to providing a fun and safe Halloween celebration for the community. Decorated and run by Palatine’s very own extracurricular activities, students volunteered their time to make the event possible.

“I chose to help today because I wanted to help out on something for the little kids to have fun with,” freshman Christina Guzman said. “I feel everyone should take part of their day to check out this event next year because it’s very fun for both, older people and the younger ones.”

While helping Foreign Exchange and International club, Guzman’s favorite part was seeing the happiness on the children’s faces and feels passionate about volunteering again for the years to come.

Palatine High School Senior, Ivan Aniceto, volunteered his time to help his fellow Senior Board members and friends to complete the Senior Board non scary room.

“It was my first year volunteering and it was truly a great experience,” Aniceto said. “My favorite part was being able to see kids get very happy when playing our games and receiving candy. It’s wonderful that the school hosts this event every year because it really brings the community together.”

Aniceto believes this year was a success and thinks as long as the community enjoys the event, we as a school have done our job.

The  community experienced Halloween the Palatine High School way from 5 to 6:30pm. Having every club get a room to make it their own, the school as a whole included scary and non scary rooms for the visitors.  

Activities greatly varied like; a petting zoo run by the speech team,  computers games programmed by CPD club, and even a maze done by Computer club, all which were enjoyed.

Although the event is all fun, games, and horror, a large amount of planning went into making sure the evening was successful. From collecting candy donations weeks in advance to recruiting many student volunteers, the impossible was done to give the community a place for celebration.

As many students took the time in their days to contribute to the Halloween Fest, joy and accomplishment was achieved in the very end.

Children were able to have fun and even see the rooms of clubs they may join once they are in high school. They also had the opportunity to experience the event as a visitor, and hopefully will one day be the ones running it.

With many positive comments from parents, Palatine High School has once again out did themselves in helping bring together the community.