Pirates football falls to Edwardsville despite record-breaking day

Courtesy of VIP

Pirates hopes fell short in a 35-38 loss to Edwardsville.

Lilibeth Arreola, Reporter

“The game was unforgettable,” varsity football player Manuel Juarez said. “Four years have come to an end.”

On Nov. 4, 2017, our Palatine Pirates clashed with the Edwardsville Tigers for the second round of the IHSA 8A state playoffs. As many students and parents came out for support, the game grew intense.

Behind by fourteen points in the beginning, our mighty Pirates managed to fight the good fight and eventually catch up to the Tigers.

Despite breaking an astonishing eight Class 8A playoff records such as quarterback DJ Angelaccio throwing for 393 yards and wide receiver Johnny O’Shea grabbing 5 touchdowns, with an end score of 35-38, Palatine High School was defeated and the Pirates acknowledged their last game of the season.

“We knew it would be a hard game, but we tried to be positive. My team and I are not upset about the loss because know we gave it our all in that field. We’re upset because our journey here has come to an end,” Juarez said.

Like many of the other varsity players, Juarez began football his freshman year in 2014 and has now, 3 years later, played in his final game.

Having been heavily impacted by his years in football, Juarez feels thankful for his time on the team.

“I just want to thank all the parents who opened their doors for us to come and eat dinner in their home, the fans for supporting us throughout the ups and downs, the coaches who loved us as if we were their own children, and for the 58 brothers I’ve created through football. I thank God as well for giving me the chance to create so many memories that I will carry on for the rest of my life,” Juarez said.

Although this was the last game of the 2017 season, this will not be the last we see of our football players.

“Experiencing sweat, blood, and tears throughout the season, we have all created bonds with each other that will never be broken.”

While the juniors will return next year, many of the senior players will continue football in college and carry on the Palatine High School name in their years of success.