Kevin Spacey has blatantly disrespected the LGBTQ+ community

Kevin Spacey's response to the incident that occurred between him and Anthony Rapp 24 years earlier reveals how Hollywood stars are using the LGBQT+ community as a scapegoat for their immoral behavior.

Courtesy of Wikipedia via Creative Commons

Allyson Quesada, Reporter

Ever since the golden age of Hollywood, dreams of becoming rich and famous have became a reality for many young actors. This has caused the film industry to be filled with thriving opportunities.

Unfortunately, for many of these young actors, this dream gets tarnished as soon as it begins.

For actor Anthony Rapp, known for his notable roles in the Broadway Production of Rent, A Beautiful Mind, and Star Trek, was set in the film industry by the age of nine. Sadly, only five years into his career, his innocence was stolen.

He was exposed to sexual harassment and introduced to the world of perversion by an older colleague, Kevin Spacey. Rapp befriended Spacey when they worked together in the production of Rent.

Twenty-four years later, the headline: Rapp Accusess Spacey of Sexual Assault, becomes the biggest news story for the month of November.

Allegations of sexual misconduct directed towards Kevin Spacey, is now another statistic that proves sexual assault is just another part of the Hollywood Culture. Since this incident, Spacey has forwarded a written apology on his Twitter page stating that his actions were a direct cause of suppressing his own sexuality. Yet, he denied any recognition of this incident that Rapp describes as “drunken behavior.”

Although, some may think that Spacey should be forgiven, given the circumstances he was dealing with.

Identifying as a part of the LGBTQ+ community is a special moment for anyone. Feelings of rejection, shame, and acceptance are common ground. But Spacey chose to deal with this situation in a completely inappropriate way.

Taking responsibility off of his shoulders for his actions proves the Hollywood agenda of wealthy men being able to get away with just about anything:

“.. As those closest to me know, in my life I have had relationships with both men and women… I chose now to live as a gay man,” actor Kevin Spacey posted on his Twitter page.

Twenty-four years later, the headline: Rapp Accusess Spacey of Sexual Assault, becomes the biggest news story for the month of November.”

To use an allegation of sexual assault as an opportunity to identify as bisexual or transsexual is immoral.

Whether it was his intention or not, it is also a sorry excuse for his behavior misconduct to Anthony Rapp. The world knows Rapp & the community deserve so much better. The LGBTQ+ community has suffered more than enough.

Spacey suppressed his feelings of homosexuality, assaulted a minor, and then excused himself by simply stating he now resides as a gay man. It’s crazy to think that in 2017 people can still be so old fashioned. Homosexuality stirs far from the false link to be associated with pedophilia. And many have worked so hard to get that stereotype removed, all for it to be shred to pieces by Spacey on a Twitter post.

“People battle with their sexuality on a regular basis in this society,” senior Acacia Ramirez, member of Palatine High School’s Equality Club, said. “Many of us know how hard it is to actually come out and be able to openly talk about it. What he did was completely disrespectful, and I hope that one day, Anthony Rapp, along with the LGBTQ+ community, find the peace they deserve.”