The Greatest Showman has viewers “dreaming with their eyes wide open”

Niko Tavernise/Twentieth Century Fox from MCT subscription

Hugh Jackman in the film, “The Greatest Showman.”

Haley Holz, Reporter

“Ladies and gents, this is the moment you’ve waited for!”

The Greatest Showman is in theaters, and is definitely one to see on the big screen. With a fantastic cast, great music, and incredible dance routines, this film will have you on your feet by the end.

The cast of this fantastic musical is loaded with talented actors such as Hugh Jackman as the lead, Zac Efron, Zendaya, Michelle Williams, and Keala Settle. Jackman, probably most known for his time playing the Wolverine, took the stage to become P.T. Barnum, a man who had a rough childhood and recently lost his job, but then is inspired by his children to create the first ever circus.

Even though many dislike Barnum’s idea because this show featured “odd balls,” he still keeps his dreams alive by showing that they should not be hiding, but rather should be center stage.

Zac Efron, who plays Phillip Carlyle, questions the legitimacy of show business at first, but soon gets sucked in. It is then that he meets Anne Wheeler, a trapeze artist played by Zendaya, and together they create the romance for this musical.

The movie is set in a time where interracial dating and just being near someone of another race is frowned upon. Many frown upon their love, including the parents of Phillip Carlyle. It all culminates when they sing a beautiful duet together titled “Rewrite the Stars”, believing that they may never be able to be together. Zendaya does most of her own stunts, while they both perform great choreography and truly shine in this movie.

This movie is a movie that needs to be seen. With Zac Efron appearing in his first musical since his days as Troy Bolton in the High School Musical franchise, he specifically chose this movie because of the renowned director, Michael Gracey, and because of the movie’s message, which is to include everyone.

The Greatest Showman won the best original song in a motion picture with the song “This Is Me” sung by Keala Settle. The movie was also nominated for best motion picture for a musical or comedy, and Hugh Jackman was nominated for best actor.

Come one, come all. No matter your age or gender, if you haven’t seen this fantastic film yet, I highly recommend that you do so. It truly is “The Greatest Show.”