How young is too young for a smartphone?

Monika Juras

An AP Psych student checks her phone before class.

Kayla Luksch, Reporter

Is there an age limit for a child to get a smartphone?

Today’s society runs on the ability to easily and quickly use technology no matter what age you are.

But does it become a problem when it has the potential of distracting children from interactions?

Yes it does.

I babysit a 3 year old, and her mom allows her to have a smartphone with many games. She has other block games and puzzles but I often see that she will always pick up the smartphone and begin playing.

She hardly communicates with me and she is always locked into the game she plays. When children are older they have more things to do and they have a better sense of control on when to use their phone and when not to.

Young children already have games that help them learn rather than just distracting them for a few hours.

Many teens don’t get a smartphone until about 13 years old. Mostly because they will need it to call home, or their parents, and to communicate with their friends.

At this age parents should trust their children to be safe and responsible.

“That age is when they turn into teenagers and they want to communicate with their friends and people from school,” junior, Sydnie Rodriguez stated.

Young children don’t need an iPad to learn or to be occupied with. They have the option of toys and games that will help them develop, other than a screen.

Kids don’t need a phone until they are older because they don’t even know how to call someone at such a young age. They won’t have to contact anyone. Teens need a phone to contact their parents or friends.

For instance, with my phone I can use it to call or text my mom if I need a ride. I have a phone because I’m not always at the house and I’m not always being protected by my parents.

But young kids are always with their parents so their is no point in having a phone that is meant for you to be able to contact people and not using it.

My mom never had a cell phone until she was an adult, granted that was because of technology at the time, but it didn’t make her any less smart. She had a rewarding education and she didn’t need a smartphone or an iPad to help her.

“I never had a phone until my late 20s,” my mother Marla Luksch said. “Although I never wished that I had one.”

There is definitely an age limit to have a smartphone.

About 13-14 years old is the best time because the kids are starting to leave the house and go off on their own. But they should have someway of their own to contact their parents or someone that they trust.