Bravo excels at PHS

Cristina Bravo with teacher Alyssa Moreno at this year's Excellence in English breakfast.

Megan Panico

Megan Panico

Born in the US and raised in Mexico. She came back to America at 12 years old. In school, she was placed in ESL (English as a Second Language) classes to help her with her vocabulary. From the beginning she understood all the stereotypes that were against her. Though she also understood her own mindset about everything that everyone predicted on her, will be proven wrong.

Today Cristina Bravo is a senior at Palatine High school planning to graduate in May.

“That was one of my motivations,” Bravo said. “I wanted to prove everyone that they thought wrong.”

Bravo faced many obstacles in her life. One of the problems she struggled with in school was being able to learn English. Bravo proved the two times she was placed in an ESL class that she was capable of understanding the language.

“I continue to work hard and I continue to challenge myself,” Bravo said. “To actually get to the point of being a Spanish teacher and being with students because that’s my passion.”

One of the problems she had in being in ESL were the stereotypes. She didn’t like the image that people had set for her.

Bravo is now in AP classes and she’s involved in multiple clubs. She’s been a committed dancer for the last 3 years. Bravo has also received multiple scholarships, like the Latino Summit scholarship and been accepted to universities.

“She’s a good example of somebody who succeeds and also takes others with them,” ESL teacher Jaison Varghese said.

Bravo additionally aspires to be an ESL teacher for the future high school students of Palatine. She believes that she could give them the best education. She’ll be able to relate with her students and know what to and how to teach them.

“She always turns back, never forgets where she came from,” Varghese said.

Bravo doesn’t just work on succeeding, she also help others succeed with her. She always tries to give back to the community, even if it’s just volunteering.

“I see Cristina as an inspiration to her peers,” senior Jackie Gaytan said.

Bravo has always pushed others to be a better person and student. She shares scholarships with everyone and she gets many involved in programs with her. Her friends would not be the students that they are today if it weren’t for Bravo.

Senior Cynthia Salguero described Bravo as a role model student who gets all her schoolwork done and stays very open minded.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Bravo excels at PHS”

1. Yessenia Caldera on February 23rd, 2018 2:20 pm

Nice to see someone Suceed its very inspiring❤

[Reply]

2. Eunice juarez on February 23rd, 2018 2:22 pm

I think that christina is going to do very well through out her future. From what ive read she is a really good student amd her teachers are very proud of her. I wish her the best

[Reply]

3. Ariana Rocha on February 23rd, 2018 2:25 pm

I love reading this article it is a very touching topic and it amazing how she proved everyone wrong she did it even though all the hard comments she felt like people were thinking of her she still did it

[Reply]

*

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Nowak remembers kidney donation

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Learning beyond the classroom

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Once a Pirate, always a Pirate

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Orchesis looks to bring dance to all

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Students voice opinions on politics

• Bravo excels at PHS

Humans of Palatine

Humans of Palatine: Lainey

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Slideshow: Photo Club connects student photographers

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Foreign family’s love never ends

• Bravo excels at PHS

Features

Delayed entry program for the marines

• Bravo excels at PHS

Art & Entertainment

Slideshow: Backstage at the Winter Band Concert

Bravo excels at PHS