Palatine students attend Code 211

Back to Article
Back to Article

Palatine students attend Code 211

Palatine students Dominique De Fiesta (19) and Annie Clement (19) look into a PC during a workshop.

Andrew Duran

Andrew Duran

Andrew Duran

Haley Holz, Contributor

Feb 1 and 2, Fremd hosted the second Code 211 for District 211. Over one hundred students, from across the five schools, participated in this exciting event.

The event was packed with sessions and competitions for all levels, ranging from novice to the advanced, there was something for everyone.

Dominique de Fiesta said that one of the coolest things she saw at this event was, “two girls who didn’t really know how to code, ended up placing second in the novice category with the game that they made together. That was pretty epic!”

This shows that truly anyone can come to this event, meet new people and really shine. Even though they had no experience to begin with, they were able to produce an amazing project.

This event wasn’t just about competition. It was about learning and sharing what you have learned with others. The show and tell session allowed people the time to show everyone what they had produced and how they had done it.  

“Seeing what everyone had developed was the best part of Code 211 and seeing how far people had come,” Annie Clement said. “It is super inspiring watching so many people using their skills to create some really cool projects.”

“Advertising will be a focus next year across the five schools,” de Fiesta said when asked how Code 211 could be improved. “This year’s event, though, was definitely better than last year.  We were better organized and had a broader variety of workshops, and while we had a great showing, I know that we can definitely attract more.”

Here are just a couple of examples of the great projects that were created. The first one is a cool obstacle game that took second place in the advanced division called Ziggy. It was created by our own John and Besher.  Another fantastic project created was made by Andrew and de Fiesta. They created a website called Big Piano which is a piano simulator. And the fun didn’t stop there. There were stock simulators and many other wonderful apps and websites.

Code 211 has been a success the past two years and will look to become an even bigger success next year as the passion for coding continues to grow in District 211. Don’t forget to join Code 211 next year and in the years to come. It’s never too late to learn how to code.

About the Writer
Haley Holz, Reporter

Haley Holz is a junior at Palatine. She loves to write and hopes to one day publish her own book. Haley has been on the varsity volleyball team for three...