Follow PHS Cutlass

Subscribe for the latest stories!

* indicates required
Translate this article into the following languages
Meet our Staff!
Siomara Valdez
Siomara Valdez
Sports & Photography Editor

Siomara Valdez is a senior at Palatine High School. Valdez is very passionate about photography as it is a hobby of theirs. Valdez went out of their comfort zone to take on new opportunities in photography...

Humans of Palatine: Jimmy Minard

Siomara Valdez
Mr. Minard often conducts for Wind Symphony and Concert Band during his semester of student teaching at PHS.

“My name is Mr. Minard, otherwise known as Jimmy Minard after school hours. I am a student teacher at Palatine High School. I come from NIU and I am studying to be a music educator.”

“I teach lessons outside of school. I do a lot of gigs, especially during the summer. Coming up, I am gonna do some gigging since it is the winter season, like church, those are some good gigs right there. I also collect video games. Sadly I haven’t had time but for those who know, I 100% Breath Of The Wild. I’ve had so many hours in the game. I have every single Nintendo system besides the Game Cube because I’m not paying 500$ for that. I’m a big Xbox gamer. I get everything on Xbox that’s cross platform. I only play PS5 to play exclusives. It is pretty much video games and music. I did a lot of sports back in my day, now I really don’t do much of that stuff since I’m retired. I was a gymnast ye

Mr. Minard watches over the students of PHS band during a home game while sporting a cap from the university he currently attends, NIU. (Siomara Valdez)

“Student teaching here has been good. It’s a big difference cause I’m coming from Yorkville Middle School and I was driving an hour every single day.  Now I’m driving a 20 minute drive and it’s later in the day which I love. It’s very similar to Yorkville in a sense of the structure of everything. It’s just been good working with the band, Mr. Esquivel, Ms. Samayoa these past few weeks. It was also great since I did marching band over the summer, so I knew the gist coming here. It’s been fun here at PHS.”

“I’m gonna graduate in the future. That’s the big thing coming up like ‘ugh yes graduation’, I get to finally get 2 pieces of paper that say I did something. I’m looking forward to starting my job search. I’m looking at the next few steps I need to take to get a job because I’m on the borderline of being a student and an adult. Finding a full on job, a good income, instead of these part time jobs I’ve had so far. I’m looking forward to that. I wanna end up, hopefully I’m looking for middle school, high school band. That’s what I’ve been applying to. There haven’t been a lot of openings sadly but that’s what I’m mainly looking for. I really wanna stick with band.”

Mr. Minard holds the microphone for student, Hector Garcia, as he performes his solo during a football game. (Siomara Valdez)

“It’s really weird, my high school music career. I was not a big band kid. I was a boy scout and a gymnast, I did that. I love marching band, pep band, but I didn’t try in concert band a lot. I love telling stories to kids that are borderline staying in band or staying in jazz that I didn’t put my all into. I didn’t put enough as I should have and I regret that.”

“I wasn’t a student leader. Thing is I liked playing music, I just had other priorities in highschool. I wish I prioritized music more cause I was always thinking I was going to become a teacher. I got really into the music world in college. It was the choice between history and music. I just picked music. ‘Let’s see if I like it and if I don’t, I’ll switch to history’, and then I liked it, I like it a lot, and I kept with it. I still did my history stuff and have my endorsements so I could teach history. I was talking to a kid who was borderline gonna sign up for jazz and I told him, ‘you’re a senior, are you gonna pursue music in college?’ And he said no. ‘Just try it, what’s the worst that’s gonna happen? You’re gonna do it for a couple of months and you’re gonna be done,’ I told him. It’s a good activity, and you get to make new friends. You get to learn a new musical style and if you like it, maybe you’ll do it in college. You might not be a full music major, but you might keep going. You don’t know you’ll like it until you try it.”