Behind the Soup of the Day

Screenshot of PTV

Soup of the Day is one of the segments of this year’s PTV.

Isabella Brock, Reporter

Palatine High School’s announcement team, known as PTV, created a new ingenious segment this school year.

The Soup of the Day, run by James Kieliszewski, has been in the spotlight this school year for its creative and unusual material.

Kieliszewski’s interest in being on the screen began in elementary school, when he was given his first camera. From there, his interest grew as he began making videos of his many talents. As a junior, he joined PTV in hopes of becoming a broadcaster, and now twice a week informs the anxiously awaiting school of the pride of our cafeteria: the soup of the day.

The soup of the day was born on one average day during a PTV conference. Brandon Cseko jokingly suggested a segment called the Soup of the Day. James had finally found his calling. Now, twice a week James consults the cafeteria ladies on the daily soup, creates his own scripts with unique themes, then films the segment to share with the school. James goes the extra mile with his passion, and enjoys the daily soup in his own lunch everyday.

“People like the soup of the day because it makes PTV fun and homeroom more entertaining.” Kieliszewski says.

Kieliszewski thanks the “legendary and super PHS chefs” for making the soup superior, and is proud of how far the soup segment has come.

Students are also able to request themes for the daily soup segment.

So far themes have included Edgar Allan Poe, Star Wars and Harry Potter. Kieliszewski says his own favorite theme is “probably either the Night Before Soupmas or the Halloween special.”

Some, however, are not as passionate as Kieliszewski on soup, and many have described the soup of the day as “ridiculous.”

In response to this backlash, James told us that he keeps positivity by remembering “Haters gonna hate.” He rejoices in the fact that Palatine is the only high school in the district to highlight the lunchrooms hard work put into the soups every day.