#StaryStrong rallies PHS community

Mrs.+Stary+poses+with+her+family+at+a+recent+Conant+High+School+football+game.+
Courtesy of GoFundMe
Mrs. Stary poses with her family at a recent Conant High School football game.

Kris Stary, a teacher in the Family and Consumer Science Department at Palatine High School, was diagnosed with Stage 4 urothelial carcinoma cancer last year; the Palatine community has been helping to provide support for her and her family through her difficult journey. 

Although this past year has been challenging, Stary recently provided an update that showed much of the progress that has been made. Stary stated, “we are moving into immunotherapy protocols now, and are stopping chemotherapy for the time being.”

There has been lots of help for the Stary family through this challenging time, including rides to activities for her kids, who attend Conant High School. In addition, meal assistance and gas money have been provided. Along with the personal support, the community of Palatine has worked together to raise lots of money for the Stary family. Some of these fundraisers include many dine and shares, a Ride for Hope fundraiser, a raffle, and a GoFundMe page, which raised over $30,000. These fundraisers are ongoing, and more money is continuing to be raised. 

Erika Varela, a teacher in the Family and Consumer Science Department, said, “We kept having to raise the goal.” This goal was referring to the GoFundMe page run by Stary’s coworkers, which had the original goal of $500. Many of the donations are from former students or coworkers who are extremely appreciative of the hard work and effort that Stary invests in teaching and guiding all of her students. All of these contributions were appreciated, but Stary made it clear that she didn’t want anyone to be pressured to donate or help out. 

Along with the community in Palatine, Conant High School has also contributed to donations for the family.  Stary’s two children attend Conant, so the whole family has been embraced in the care and assistance offered. Stary expressed, “I wanted to thank you for your prayers and well wishes and help over the past few months.” 

The Palatine community has been extremely generous in making sure that the Stary family is taken care of, just like how Stary has influenced so many students’ lives in the 21 years that she has been working here. She was always the last person in line, and the first to rave about how much she loved her students. When she worked in the preschool, she gave her kids all the credit for its massive success. 

Coworker Toni Madl stated “Her [Stary’s] commitment to understanding each student’s unique needs and strengths sets her apart, making the classroom a space where everyone feels seen, heard, and inspired.”

Donations for Mrs. Stary are still being accepted here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-family-of-kris-stary