The significance of Mexican Independence Day is being overlooked

Mexican Independence Day allows those of Mexican heritage to embrace their roots and celebrate their culture.

Edwin Perez-Hernandez

Edwin Perez-Hernandez

Lilibeth Arreola, Reporter

As a child of immigrant parents, I often forget that I come from a much bigger background than Palatine, IL.

I think many can agree when I say, there comes a certain expectation that if you’re born here, this should be the only place that should matter to you, regardless of where your parents come from.

From getting comments to speak the “American” language to being told that younger versions of ourselves do not deserve education simply because they speak two languages, we constantly see actions being taken to makes us feel that we need to change in order to fit into the ideal American.

We don’t learn about Miguel Hidalgo the way we learn about George Washington, but from stories our parents can recall, and our day to celebrate the freedom our ancestors received is often mistaken for Cinco de Mayo.

Whether it’s speak with less of an accent, eat food with less spice, or even stop listening to Banda that has the same rhythm as our hearts, change is demanded and for people like me, this is a daily normality.

Mexican Independence Day is no exception. We are not expected to celebrate such a day.

Mexican Independence Day is a day that should be acknowledged by us Mexican-Americans and held near our hearts.”

And while this is done by society as a whole, more and more Mexican Americans are following this trend of abandoning our heritage and culture, simply so they and their children could be considered “American enough.”

“I feel like it puts the kids at a disadvantage, that’s a personal choice so I can’t say it’s wrong but I think it’s a shame,” senior Pablo Almora answered when questioned about his opinion on the lack of cultural exposure and embracing for some. “If the parents grew up [in a different country] and lived there a big chunk of of their lives, I don’t see why they wouldn’t pass it on.”

Mexican Independence Day is a day that should be acknowledged by us Mexican-Americans and held near our hearts.

From El Grito de Dolores on the early morning of September 16, 1810 to the same day 11 years later, our ancestors fought for the freedom and liberty to lead us all where we are now.

Mexican Independence Day should be the day that we celebrate the freedom we have and acknowledge the strong people we come from.

We, the first generation, should do all possible to maintain our roots and not forget that we come from Mexican descent because although we aren’t in Mexico, we will always carry it in our blood.

We should not be ashamed or scared to embrace the skin our loving parents gave us nor should believe that we’re anything less of a person for acknowledging our roots.

So whether you celebrated this year or not, make sure you do next year and be a part of something this month to felicitate our culture. And for my fellow hispanics: happy Hispanic Heritage month!