iPads vs. paper and pencil

Vanessa Arenas, Reporter

Technology has developed crazy fast in the last couple years.

Before we know it, teenagers won’t have to learn how to drive, communicate with one another, or probably read.

Students now have the privilege to learn off of the iPads the school provides. They can take notes, do research, and read a book all at the same time.

Yet there are still cons.

Many students can’t write down their notes on their iPad simply because they get distracted with other notifications, or the strong addiction to a game.

Going back to “old school” and writing in pen and pencil seemed to be better.

There are fewer distractions that way and physically writing down notes stays in the brain.

“I can’t study on the iPad,” senior Kevin Barraza said. “I tend to find myself on a game or on twitter and having nothing done.”

Frankly many people agree, including myself.

“I’m always playing games when the teacher’s talking,” Melissa Arenas (’19) said. “I doze off while they’re talking otherwise.”

The fact is many students do not pay attention while taking notes on the iPad or simply doing a task. They tend to wander off into other apps and then piles and piles of homework are missing.

There’s a few teachers who stick to pen and paper, students tend to be better there.

“I prefer paper and pencil because I know students are paying attention,” an anonymous teacher said. “They’ll probably doze off and not pay attention regardless but mainly they’ll stay focused.”

I believe schools should just get rid of the iPad, there’s not much of a big benefit anyways.