Follow PHS Cutlass

Subscribe for the latest stories!

* indicates required
Translate this article into the following languages
Meet our Staff!

Sophia Davidson is a senior at Palatine High School. She is motivated by grades in school, and would rather do things on her own. She is passionate about feminism, and would like to take a class in women’s...

Spring signing day brings next step for 12 Palatine athletes

12+athletes+begin+their+next+steps+in+sports+as+they+enter+college+soon.+Photo+captured+by+Dave+Pe%C3%B1a+and+used+with+permission.+
@davebuckphotos on IG
12 athletes begin their next steps in sports as they enter college soon. Photo captured by Dave Peña and used with permission.

For a handful of Palatine students, they have elevated themselves to the NCAA level and look onto the next chapter after getting their high school diploma.

Let’s take a look into the 12 different Pirates who recently signed on signing day!

Liam Arnold – Baseball, Wheaton College 

Arnold publicly announced his commitment back on Oct. 12, 2023. He won’t be traveling too far from home, just over a 30-minute drive away from Palatine High School.

He has been a key piece in the rotation for veteran Head Coach Paul Belo. The Wheaton Thunder play in the CCIW conference against teams in the Illinois-Wisconsin area.

Adrian Atanassov – Soccer, Carthage College 

Atanassov is one of the five soccer players headed to the NCAA, and part of the four-man flock that heads just across the Illinois-Wisconsin border to Carthage College. 

Atanassov was a crucial part of the unstoppable Pirate offense. He notched nine goals on 13 shots on goal and four assists. 

Angie Delgado – Softball, Aurora University

Delgado is the only softball player headed to the collegiate level, and she’ll be staying in Illinois as she heads to a historically great program.

Aurora softball has won 11 conference titles in just their 20 years of establishment, and they’ll be getting a gem with a player like Delgado.

Damien Drzewiecki – Soccer, Carthage College

Drzewiecki is another one headed to Carthage College. Carthage will now have five Palatine grads in their program, as Dennis Valle is currently a freshman with the Firebirds.

Drzewiecki was the core of the defensive side of things for the Pirates. His performances earned him an all-conference recognition and a near undefeated record for Palatine.

Téa Esguerra-Jones – Cheerleading, Lindenwood University

Esguerra-Jones is making her way to Lindenwood University, a cheer program with over 8,000 followers and 13 national championships. The institution is located in Saint Charles, Missouri.

Esguerra-Jones has been cheering for a decade and the journey isn’t over. She is headed from one storied program at Palatine to the next. 

Sebastian Khoury – Soccer, Eastern Illinois University

Khoury might have only played in 13 of the 24 matches during the season, but all it takes is one game to recognize his consistent talent. He will make a quick impact on a Panthers team needing a spark on offense.

Khoury goals per game rate (0.9) was best on a balanced attack from the Pirates. He also received all conference recognition.

Jordan Mok – Soccer, Carthage College

The leader of the dominant soccer squad is taking his talents to Carthage, where the Firebirds who already had 11 wins, six losses and two draws gets even more improved.

Mok wore the captain’s band and led by example with great athleticism and an all-conference recognition. At midfield, he dished 11 assists on the year.

Karol Noga – Soccer, Carthage College

The determination of Noga wasn’t going to let a torn ACL end his career. Instead, he’s got another chapter to the story with the Firebirds.

MSL West player of the year Noga had 14 goals in 18 appearances, a team leading stat. His offensive smarts separated him from the rest, quite literally. Every Karol Noga goal was a highlight.

Lexi Sabado – Basketball, Loras College

Sabado is also not letting a torn ACL end her story. After missing out on a chunk of  her senior year, she  still got herself recognized, and chose Loras College out in Dubuque, Iowa.

Sabado still got to play in 10 games in her final year in high school basketball. She averaged six points per game and sprinkled in nearly three rebounds per game as well. She was a great two-way presence, with nearly two steals per game on average.

Griffin Simons – Lacrosse, Concordia University Wisconsin

After three full varsity seasons with the Pirates lacrosse organization, he is ready to join the Concordia Wisconsin Falcons in the CCIW.

Simons was all-conference last year and earned the team’s offensive player of the year accolade. He will be joining the dominant offensive attack of the Falcons, who are currently scoring more than 16 goals a game on average.

Sean Wasserman – Baseball, Carthage College

Wasserman is one of three seniors taking it to the next level, but he will be the only one in Kenosha as he joins the dominant Firebirds in the CCIW, who are currently 17-7 in season play.

Wasserman is a triple threat, for he can deliver as a pitcher, batting at the plate, or even in center field. Even as a junior, he was second on Palatine in on base percentage (0.451).

Morgan Wachler – Baseball, Illinois Wesleyan University

Wachler will be taking his hitting ability to the 2010 NCAA DIII National Champs, Illinois Wesleyan out in Bloomington, Illinois. 

Wachler is a threat at getting on base, and especially when he’s on base. He led all Pirates last year with nine stolen bases, and was third on the squad when it came to RBIs (16).

Teams showed their support to those signing their letters of intent. Photo captured by Dave Peña and used with permission. (@davebuckphotos on IG)